Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beretta is 18mo old. Had her first heat in August 2019. Her “scheduled” heat the beginning of this year hasn’t happened yet unless it was silent and I missed signs of bleeding but that’s unlikely since I am very attentive to that. 3 days ago she showed sign of loss of appetite. Eating slower than normal and not eating her dinner. Next day, she didn’t eat her breakfast, had awful diarrhea and played and retrieved in the front yard like normal. Only ate dinner because I mixed in rice. Day 2 she woke up not excited at all. Her mood drastically changed. As if she was beyond depressed. She didn’t eat that morning. Some discharge but not a lot. She began panting and breathing heavy. Mind you, she’s been drinking and urinating as normal. Talking to my vet tech friend, we were concerned is was pyro (pyrometra). Called the vet and rushed her in. Ultrasound showed no signs of uterine infection. Thank god! Temp was 101 and do to tight funds, I couldn’t do an xray that moment. They said not to feed her that night and to start chicken and boiled chicken this weekend to see about getting her appetite back. Today (day 3) she woke up the same, as if she’s a 90yr old woman walking around the house. Acting like her body hurts all over. She had lots of interest in the chicken and rice and ate all I gave her. Poop solid again and checked to find the rice she had eaten. Ears perked up when she heard the tennis ball bounce but tail is down and rarely up but still wags either way. I’m dumbfounded over the body movement, or lack there of, and the heavy breathing. She yelps when I tried to pick up her entire body and help her up to snuggle or rub on her firmly. Planning xrays Monday when hubby gets paid. All she wants to do is lay around but did follow me around our court outside. We have found small pieces of rock from our backyard in her poop. They are smaller that 3/4in. She has also passed a couple of our son’s socks no matter how delivery I am about picking those up. Unfortunately labs, especially puppies, seem to eat everything. I’m at my wits end and so emotional. Any ideas?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Unfortunately labs, especially puppies, seem to eat everything.
That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I was reading this. That doesn't mean that this is what it is, but I think getting the x-ray might be a good idea.

Did the vet check for parasites? Has the dog been vaccinated against Lyme disease?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She’s had all the necessary vaccinations and I’ll have to check specifically for the Lyme. We are at the vet again now and waiting for answers.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think the Xray's are going to be critical to know if she might have a blockage, which her symptoms suggest might be a possibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts