Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 year old Chihuahua would not eat so I took her to the vet yesterday. As the vet examined her mouth a tooth fell out. The vet gave antibiotic shot then liquid antibiotic, Gabapentin (for pain), and steroids to give at home. Vet wanted to do a cleaning on Friday. She ate a little yesterday when we first got home but would not eat again.
She still won't hardly eat on her own. I called the vet again this morning and told them that she would still not eat on her own. They told me to bring her in again. They gave her a shot to settle her stomach as the vet thought the antibiotics she is on now were upsetting her stomach. They did blood work which came back okay but with a high white blood cell count. They are now scheduling a full dental (more teeth removed, xrays, etc.) for Friday morning. I brought her home with a can of bland food from the vet. She still did not want to eat but I opened her mouth and put some in. She then started to eat a few bites off of my fingers. That is all she would eat.
I called the vet again this afternoon after she still would not eat. They said to call in the morning again if she would not eat on her own. Vet told me to give chicken broth through syringe orally. She acts normal but just won't eat. I have already spent a great deal of money with much more money on Friday if they still want to do the full dental. I am very worried about her as you can imagine. If you have any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate any input. Thank you

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
High white blood count usually means infection, most probably in her mouth, which, makes her feel crappy, certainly not hungry, and probably hurts too, so eating is a very unpleasant experience. I would only offer her soft foods, and then only something she really likes. Soft food, maybe soaked in chicken broth, if she likes that. If she has more infected teeth, removing them is a must.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand your concern about eating. But more important, is she drinking? You may consider syringe feeding her Gatorade to ensure she is staying hydrated. I really do believe pushing fluids saved my dog once when she was very ill. Good luck fur parent!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took her to the vet this morning and they did a full dental procedure on her including removing another tooth. Her mouth was swollen too. The vet did a great juob I feel in getting the issues fixed. She has been resting comfortably. I stayed with her while she was there. They brought her to me once the procedures were done so that she would wake up in my arms instead of the kennel.
I think this made both of us feel better.

She can't have food or water for another few hours as the anesthesia is still wearing off. I am giving her the best care and am staying right by her side as always.

Thank you for all of your help. I will post a follow up later as she gets better.

Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much. I have no human kids and live alone, so my animals, (7 dogs - 6 Chihuahuas 1 Pit Bull, cat, and Cockatoo) are my kids. I love them so very much. They are all spoiled rotten as I, their daddy thinks they deserve to be.

She just ate a little peanut butter. I will be so glad when she goes back to eating normally.

Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts