Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me pros and cons for a second dog/ dog siblings!
We currently have one dog 2,5 almost 3 years old, kelpie-cross-border collie. He was adopted rescue pup and settled well into our family of 4 (husband and I, two girls now both teenagers) And we’re just about to adopt a sibling - a 10 month old border collie.
It will be good but any advise about sibling rivalry , what to avoid, how to introduce etc??
Xxx TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
The best way to introduce the dogs and to get them used to each other is by walking them together. You can start by walking side by side without letting them interact. Long walks builds relationships and gets them used to each other in a safe and calm way. Be careful about how you feed them and give them bones/toys. For instance, don’t feed them too close together that they have to feel protective over their food. Don’t create situations where they feel like they have to fight or protect something, like giving them bones when they’re close together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would you recommend having the new bed and everything set up before the new dog arrives (so original dog understand there will be another coming) or just wait and surprise til the day we bring the sibling home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts