Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i noticed theres alot of posts on this subject. and while my dog i know suffers from it, its taken a while but i did manage to make progress for a while. not long ago i went from VA to ID to visit family for about 18 days. before this my dog didnt have this issue as much. but once i left almost daily he defecated in the house. being that i was away and my roommates fiancee who loves animals was watching him had to handle it. once i got home i didnt some training to teach him that that was unacceptable. and it started becoming less and less frequent as i spent a little more time with him and training him(honestly just minor obediance training) but recently ive been having a relapse. and im starting to loose a bit of my patience about it because its really not ok.

so the most recent scenario(20 minutes ago) is the one ill give you. my roommate and his fiancee went out to eat. no big deal. link(my dog) was content being upstairs in my room. i brought him downstairs so i could could dinner for today lunch for tom. and he had just been outside to go potty. because ive gotten into the habit anytime i come downstairs or let him out of his kennel he goes outside to go potty wether he needs to or not.

well when my roommate and his fiancee get home she lets out her dog and then they go upstairs to go to their bedroom. my dog follows her because thats what dogs do. when 1 is doing it they all do it. well when she closed the door apparently he had defficated. now i was downstairs in the kitchen cooking and he knew that. cause he was just with me literally seconds before. and then once he defecated upstairs he came downstairs passed right by me. he ran upstairs and hid on my couch in my room. at first i didnt make the connection because he likes to run about. then my roommate fiancee comes downstairs and tells me he had defecated upstairs. and i instantly knew. and as soon as i had gone upstairs.(honestly was calm and didnt stomp or anything just walked upstairs. i feel the need to stress this) and as soon as he saw me he lowered his head and tucked his ear back. and thats what he would do when he used to do it.

i dont know what else to do. shes leaving in a few weeks and i really dont want to have to potty train my dog again just cause someone is leaving. not to mention im moving to japan in january with him.

i really need some advice. i need something that works. because training doesnt seem to be doing much. cause everyday i spend time training him. anytime he eats he has to sit. then lay down. he knows where kennel is and where bed is. (2 different things my bed and his kennel) he knows go potty. he knows stay. i mean i dont know what else to do. ive had many problems and managed to fix them myself. i dont want to be mad at him but its not acceptable. he doesnt have any issues being in his kennel for long periods of time. he used to chew on things and i got that mostly broken. a small episode here and there on that. but this...i mean i cant train for something im unaware of. and i cant watch him every second to tell him NO if he starts defecating.

i need a simple solution. his day to day schedule is fairly routine(what i can control of it since my roommate fiancee watches him while im at work and she wont do anything i ask. kids...) but when im home hes got plenty of freedom to run around. i try to keep him near me so i can! prevent these episodes.... but as i said theres literally no way i can watch him every second. and he never does it if anyones in eyesight. ive caught him once doing it in eyesight before when he used to have problems with it. and then it started slowly stopping after i repremanded him.

so please im at my wits end. i dont have a solution for this. because i cant fight what i cant see. and i cant see it if hes not doing it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i feel i must also point out that my dog has no issues with almost anything else. but seems to associate a closed door with defecating being ok. because in the morning i let him out, he goes potty. after he goes potty he comes in and goes straight to the kennel on his own unless he stops for a drink of water. after that i shut him in his kennel and usually im getting dressed when he comes back inside. so he knows im leaving. if i leave him in my room alone. like to go take a shower. he doesnt do anything. but if hes able to roam the house and any of the upstairs doors gets shut it seems he thinks then is the time to defecate to get attention or something. and lately hes only been doing this upstairs in almost the exact same spot. i have treated the whole upstairs with a combination of oxyclean,vinegar and natures miracle....and he still does it. it seems space related. upstairs hallway and then object related as in the doors...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts