Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get her to stop tearing them up? This just started about a week ago. She has tons of toys, chews, gets a lot of exercise, and is worked 5 or 6 days a week on SAR. She did not take to crate training, and will chew the bars nonstop. She has done wonderful on potty training, and sleeps in the bathroom behind a baby gate with no chewing or jumping.

The only time she will chew is when she is left alone for long periods(due to shift change, this can"t be avoided right now). I leave them down just in case all day, but she asks to go out. I come home and the house looks like a snow storm!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is just anxiety and boredom. if suddenly you are not there all the time, she will be feeling lonely and super bored. you will have to do gradual training by leaving her 5 mins then coming back, no mess = loads of fuss, treats and praise.. then longer 15 mins, 45Min's ect ect. reinforcing good behaviour. this will let her know that you are going to come back regardless of how long you are gone. also try kongs, toys that you can stuff treats in ect to keep her brain active while you are away... hope some if any is good advice.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Yes, sounds like she is shredding stuff because she is lonely and anxious when you are gone. Does she really need the tinkle pads anymore, or can she "hold it" while you are away? Of course she can't use them if they are shredded anyway, so maybe its time to stop using them?

K9Bandit's ideas to help your dog feel less anxious about you leaving are very good. Also you can leave her a stuffed frozen Kong or other super attractive food toy to keep her happy for a while after you leave.

Dogs can break teeth on crates, so that might be something to be aware of.

Hopefully she'll get more used to your routine and will gradually get less worried about you leaving. I remember my shelter dog improved greatly in this respect. When I left for work that first day, she ate a fake flower bouquet, complete with florist's wire. I was frantic! Luckily, the place I worked was a vet hospital. So I was able to watch the wires pass through her system with a series of x-rays. Anyway, after a few weeks, she was used to the routine and did not get anxious when I left, although she did know when I would return and sat at the top of the stairs to wait. She never ate anything so dangerous again.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is 16 weeks old. With my schedule change she is there 6 hours alone right now about twice a week, then only a potty break and another 6 hours. This will only last a few weeks. I am afraid she can"t hold it the whole time.

She is relaxed when I leave and has lots of toys, but the frozen kong sounds good. She leaves the pads for several hours, I think gets bored and then tears them up.

This can be a destructive breed, lol, so at least its not the couch right? YET! I do have a fenced yard with the decent weather that may be an option.
Do they make a pad with different stuffing? Like the old pads from a nursing home? The pet store recommended spray for no chewing, but will that not have an odor that may deter her from going if she has to?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would not leave the puppy outside for many many reasons.

The washable pads are like blankets with something inside that does not allow urine to soak through. I found them online.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
youre scared she might need them... but is she? has she gone while you were out? sure she shredded the pads, but in the meantime did she go on the floor? if its a no, then she doesnt need them.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
She is relaxed when I leave and has lots of toys, but the frozen kong sounds good. She leaves the pads for several hours, I think gets bored and then tears them up.
Interesting comment... I too find that its often later in the day that things happen... chewing and being anxious. One dog I had was perfectly fine all day, unless I came home after a certain hour, then there would be something prominently displayed to let me know she had gotten concerned about my late return. It was usually harmless, such as one piece of paper taken from a waste basket and shredded in the middle of the living room floor. LOL!

I think you have a good read on her, and you'll sort this out soon. 16 weeks is young for 6 hours w/out a potty break, but some dogs can do it! She's growing up a little more each day and soon enough it will be easy for her. ;)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes actually there have been sometimes she has used them. She will shred the clean pads, and if she has peed on one she will just drag it to her bed. I am hoping this schedule is not going to last much longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.