Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day

I am looking around trying to get as much info and advice possible from RAW experts with regards to this case:

Some history: my dog Keiser ( Pembroke Welsh corgi) has had issues with his tummy from his pup years, after 8 months of struggling we finally moved him over to RAW feeding, the results have been great, almost a year later and he is happy and healthy with no more issues.

We were informed a month ago that his brother Gatsby has developed tummy issues, where his small intestine laps over itself (intussusception) he had to have an emergency operation at which point they removed a piece of his small intestine. He was placed on a wet food diet and then moved to Hills ID kibble after, three weeks later he was back at the vet and he had the same issue again, they had to do another emergency operation and needed to shorten the intestine a bit more. They recommend placing him back on the wet food and Hills ID kibble, now from my experience the best thing I have ever done was to switch my dog to RAW, I would like to recommend this move for Gatsby as well, however every Vet in the area I have spoken to recommends that he goes for the operation where they attach his intestine to his stomach wall to prevent the intussusception from occurring and he stays on the Hills ID.

I have spoken to an animal nutritionist (she does not specialize in dogs, but she does understand the digestive tract) she did voice concerns with regards to the rate of digestion if fed RAW food due to the shortened small intestine he now has, he might not get the right nutrients.

The other Vet voiced concerns that the dog might develop electrolyte issues if being fed RAW.

I just need an experts advice with regards to this specific case. And time is of the essence as we do not want another case like this, don’t think he will be able to get another chance at surviving.

Other than this case, he has had no issues previously and his is a happy dog.

Please could you give advice as a RAW expert on what would be the implications and if this would help Gatsby if he is switched to RAW?

Looking forward to your reply,

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you should!

Firstly, vets won't recommend raw. Vets have to learn about a lot of different animals and so they don't get trained too much on nutrition.
A friend of mine who also feeds raw, told me that the vets get the nutrition information from the dog food companies.

I think what they mean by slow digestion is the bones. Raw products for puppys have bones that are ground up very small compared to adult raw products. Maybe buy a grinder to help with the digestion or buy puppy raw food... anyone think this is a good idea??

Your dog sounds unique! I'm sure someone on here will know what to suggest...

Now... My dog shmee, a boarder collie... I've had him a week and a half. He was on biscuits at the breeders and his poo's were hard. I switched him to raw, started with chicken and tripe, then tried him on duck and tripe. Since I have switched, he has had constant sloppy poo's, some almost liquid!

I don't know what to do and need suggestions. Shmee loves the raw food but it's having a bad effect on him. Could he be allergic to tripe as both raw meals I have tried him on have had tripe in them?

He's been on boiled chicken and rice and now his poo's have firmed up. I just don't know what to do next.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
@yvettas, short gut syndrome (either by birth or surgical intervention, as in your case) will always result in nutrient absorption issues. There is really no way around that.

I would recommend speaking to a highly experienced animal nutritionist to help you decide what diet is going to work best for your Gatsby. Although with raw diets, the nutrients are much more bio-available than with commercially prepared foods, with his digestive tract being significantly shortened, there may be difficulty digesting and absorbing the critical nutrients in any diet.

Reactions: leaveittoweaver

·
Registered
33 Posts
Raw naturally takes longer to digest, it sits in the stomach longer and is digested easier and more completely. He likely would get better nutrients from it, though I won't say quote me on it because he is a very special case. I would stick with grinds for him, complete grinds, with the normal amount of organ meats and the the correct amount of bone. I would get a grind as fine as possible, just to avoid any issues with intestines and bone. I don't see anything wrong with switching him to raw. Honestly there have been a couple recent studies (for the first time in years) that show raw is a very healthy thing compared to kibble as far as nutrient wise. You should look it up.
@shmee the real issue is what sounds like with your collie, is that his organ and bone amount is screwed up. I never feed tripe every meal, I feed it twice a week at most, and only like 2% of the organ for that meal that would be fed, if you are doing an inclusive meal. Green tripe is a cut that causes diarrhea and gas if fed too much. It is amazing for calming the stomach though if your dog is having tummy issues and is now my go to (plus some kefir and a small bit of pureed organic pumpkin) to get my dog on track especially if he's constipated or just having an upset stomach.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello! I'm a pet nutritionist and would consider myself a raw expert considering I feed my own animals raw and recommend it to my clients every day. I would 100% say go for it with switching your second pup to raw! I agree with sticking to raw food that has grinds in it, some brands that follow that process are Nature's Variety and Primal frozen raw foods, but if those aren't available to you (you can get NV at Petsmart or Pet Supplies Plus) then just make sure "ground organs and bones" of whatever animal protein you're using is on the ingredients list. And since he's having trouble with digestion, go for either chicken, lamb, or rabbit as the protein choice-all three are very easy to digest moreso than proteins like beef, venison, turkey etc. I hope he feels better, and good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.