Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, recently adopted a pup from the SPCA, I have had him a week now and he's doing great, getting along with the other dogs and really just a treat. The SPCA insists on neutering him, i think its in their contract when adopting. I'm fine with that but he's only around 12-13 weeks of age, I have done a quick skim through some articles online regarding early neutering and there is some benefits of waiting ( until 6 months of age at least ), he's meant to be going in to get the op done in a couple of days should I kick up a fuss and try to get it delayed until he's 6 months of age? Im worried it may change his personality he's very confident at the moment and not nervous around other dogs once will he become more timid once neutered ? ( just curious ) thanks all. :huddle:

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's WAY to soon!!
I can't send you the article, because it's in a word file, but these are some of the downsides when you neutere too soon:

The sex hormones promote the closure of the growth plates, so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow. Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls.

In addition, with the extra growth, the lower leg below the stifle becomes heavier (because it is longer), causing increased stresses on the cranial cruciate ligament. These structural alterations may be the reason why at least one recent study has shown that spayed and neutered dogs have a higher incidence of CCL rupture.(3) Another recent study showed that dogs spayed or neutered before 5 1/2 months had a significantly higher incidence of hip dysplasia than those spayed or neutered after 5 1/2 months of age.(4)

If you send me your e-mail, I can send the full article
Hope this helps!

Love xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's WAY to soon!!
I can't send you the article, because it's in a word file, but these are some of the downsides when you neutere too soon:

The sex hormones promote the closure of the growth plates, so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow. Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls.

In addition, with the extra growth, the lower leg below the stifle becomes heavier (because it is longer), causing increased stresses on the cranial cruciate ligament. These structural alterations may be the reason why at least one recent study has shown that spayed and neutered dogs have a higher incidence of CCL rupture.(3) Another recent study showed that dogs spayed or neutered before 5 1/2 months had a significantly higher incidence of hip dysplasia than those spayed or neutered after 5 1/2 months of age.(4)

If you send me your e-mail, I can send the full article
Hope this helps!

Love xx
Thanks for that input, sure I will msg you with my email and have to read through the article :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts