Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a situation and would like some advice. We live in a condominium and were technically not allowed to have animals. However, some of our neighbors have cats and small dogs. Well, my next door neighbor has a small Pomeranian dog and leaves him outside all the time. Since we've lived here, we have seen our neighbor shave his dog in the summer, yell and push the dog away, leave the dog outside in both hot and freezing cold temps. Now, he feeds the dog, sometimes. Usually, the dogs water and food bowl is empty and we have given the dog water in the past. The dog seems dehydrated and very hungry some days and other days seems perfectly fine. The dog is almost always filthy and matted. We watched him over Christmas break while our neighbor was out of town. We cleaned him up and groomed him and when the neighbor got back, he was very happy and thankful that we watched the dog. But now is back to yelling at the dog again. When asked why he yells at the dog, he says that he wants it go away, but it stays there, also said that family loves to hang out with the dog when they come by. I can clearly tell the owner is wishy washy about whether to keep the dog or not. Another detail, his family lives in the complex too, just on the other side and comes over quite frequently. They play with the dog and sometimes let it in at night when it gets cold, but they try to stay out of it from what I was told. One of our children asked to keep the dog and he yelled, take it then! However, I'm not sure if he was serious or just playing around. I do not want to offend this person, but the way the animal is being treated is not good. I brought the dog inside our home last night as he was freezing, shivering, have icy fur and is now showing signs of frostbite. I plan on taking the dog to the vet. Do you think I should just keep the dog? I am half afraid to let it back outside and I still have to talk to the neighbor about it. I know what I should do, but I do not want to offend my neighbor by just taking their dog. Advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You just can't take the dog...it's not yours...so that's just not a matter of offending the neighbor...it's theft.

You really just need to talk to the neighbor...maybe at a time when you see he's upset with the dog. Ask if he's ever considered getting rid of the dog, and if so, if he would possibly consider letting you take ownership. If he hesitates, maybe offer him $50.00 (and if he accepts get it down on paper, a bill of sale, describing the dog and with a date, amount...ect..and signature -- But even if he gives it to you for free...still get a bill of ownership from him...so he doesn't come back months from now wanting his dog back)

If he says no...then the best thing to so is document with a camera if possible the condition of the dog, showing it outside for more than 1/2 hour on a really bad day...like in the rain or in cold temps. And/Or get video of him yelling at the dog..then turn in a request to animal control (hopefully a non kill shelter one) to see if they can take the dog based upon video evidence and in examining the dog's physical well being their selves.

It might be they just give the man a warning...or they might take the dog and put it up for adoption. If so, it might not be adopted out to you, since that would me the dog would be in the same area as the ex owner and that could cause major conflict....but at least the dog would be adopted out to someone who wants it and would treat it well.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you take the dog to the vet, make sure you tell them who the actual owner is. Some vets report suspected neglect and/or abuse cases and you don't want to be in trouble for doing a good thing if the vet thinks you're the owner.
I'd probably call your local animal control and/or a rescue organization if you're concerned and can't talk the owner into giving or selling you the dog.
Maybe the owner would give or sell you the dog so maybe try that first if you really want the dog. If you're not attached to the dog and just want to see it in a good home animal control or a rescue would be a good idea because once they're involved you don't know if they'd let you adopt the dog or not.

·
Registered
745 Posts
In my country micro- chipping & registering your dog is law- compulsary. My dogs micro- chip is listed in nz & australia if any1 else other than me takes her to a vet- they will scan it & if the details havnt been changed over- will be reported as stolen. Mine has a note if she's not with me, she's been stolen as Janet will never be re-homed or given away. To change ownership only the owner has the code & password & they have to ring them to get approval or be present. I think you should do whatever you can to help this little pommy, & I'm glad to hear you have been. Find out if its micro chipped & registered, ring animal welfare & talk to them- they will advise & help. You can take photos & e.mail them to them of the dog in the cold & frostbite etc If this owner said have the dog- I would rescue the dog asap & follow procedures. Get it in writing etc 😊 All the best! Its urgent as it could die of pnuemonia & lose feet etc. I wouldnt be waiting around either. My dogs dad is a ginger pommy that got siezed for neglect & re homed. So this is close to my heart- such wonderful little dogs. They can even do that funny thing that all spitz family dogs can do- SMILE

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thank you so much for helping your neighbor's dog!

Do you really want to adopt the dog? If so, I would go over to your neighbor's place and have a genuine conversation with the owner of the dog. Tell him that you really bonded with the dog when you dog sat before, or that you really love this little dog, or whatever you feel.

Don't tell him he is a crappy neglectful owner, obviously bc that can make him defensive-- and decide to not give you the dog. But if he feels like you are being genuine and you assure him that you will give the dog lots of love and care and your time, he may feel good about it... and be relieved...and then let you adopt the dog.

Maybe you could tell him he could visit the dog from time to time if he adopted the dog to you. You may not like the idea, but I am betting he would not take you up on this offer, so it wouldn't be an issue. If his family wants to visit the dog, well, that is up to you if you think they are good for the dog. Otherwise, just be busy...
Maybe he feels guilty/conflicted about keeping the dog bc of family pressure. Who knows? But it does sound like the dog needs a much better home!!!

If you do adopt the little dog, I agree with the other posters, get it in writing!!! If he acts odd or suspicious about it when you bring up the topic, tell him you want it bc of the condo lease agreements or something.

Don't just take the dog, which of course would be totally illegal. Talk to him and see if you can convince him to give you the dog. I would not be surprised if he did agree to give the dog to you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Reminds me of the story about how I got my beautiful soulmate dog Athena, who is now in doggie heaven. Maybe it will help you in some odd way.

Pardon if I have already told this story here a zillion times. Or if my details are slightly off as it was almost 20 years ago and my brain is getting old:)

Here goes....

One day, many moons ago, I was in my front yard. I saw a medium sized spotted dog running loose. I thought to myself, "oh there must be a jogger nearby that is with her" ...no problem. (ok this was wayyyy before I started getting highly annoyed at off leash dog owners, but I digress)

Anyway, nope, no jogger with her. Nada. Zip. No one was with this dog. Just another loose dog. Sigh.

I asked around and some neighbors said they had been seeing this particular dog roaming around here and at the local elementary school nearby for the past few days. Hmmmm. Not good.

Finally one of the neighbors decided to take her in. Said his adult kids from out of town were coming to adopt her soon. But---- yet, after he said this, the spotted dog kept getting out and roaming loose. What??? Was he concerned about the dog's welfare/safety? No. Not in my opinion. Who would knowingly let a dog run loose? And.... we live near some super busy streets.

To me this was completely unacceptable as she could very easily get hurt or ran over, etc. So, being that she was still technically a stray, I took her in. I told that neighbor that I had her, and that I would keep her til his kids came to get her.

Lo and behold--- the next day, the man put a big bag of dog food on my door and, I think, a note saying I could keep her!

I guess the family didn't really want her after all? Who knows?

I searched diligently for her owner for a few months... and then realized she was all mine.

Athena turned out to be my soulmate dog--and I am forever grateful that neighbor man handed her over to me.

Maybe this will happen to you with your neighbor's dog if you tell him that you would love to adopt his dog???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you all for your responses. I took the dog to the vet and had him looked at. There is no chip, no previous data on the dog at all. The dog has worms, fleas, a bad heal from a broken foot that occurred last year before we moved in and acute frostbite on the tail. Was told to keep him inside for the next fews days so he can heal. I talked with the owner and he didn't want to let the dog inside his house. When I asked about selling him to us, he is still wishy washy about whether or not to give the dog up. He said that maybe he could give the dog to me, "we'll see". My husband told me just give him whatever he wants for money if that will make him hand the dog over. He told me to keep him and bathe him and bring him back in a couple of days. They took the dog back yesterday afternoon and assured me that he would be taken care of. I went out to get the mail this afternoon and found the dog outside, soaking wet in the freezing rain. I brought him back in and am debating whether or not to call animal services about this. The dog is in obvious pain in his tail and I would like to get him on a round of flea preventative asap so I don't get fleas in our house. I would like to keep him, but this may cause more problems if I do. Right now, I'm at a loss.

·
Super Moderator
3,566 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I'd be calling Animal Control. And, I really wouldn't care too much what the neighbor thought about anything at all. He's a jackass.

Thanks for intervening. You're doing the right thing.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Freezing temps? Call animal control.

I talked with the owner and he didn't want to let the dog inside his house.
Ok, so wait a minute. Are you saying it is freezing temps outside and the neighbor man is unwilling to take his dog inside at all???

If that is what he actually said to you, then I feel like that is enough justification to call animal control and have them pick up the poor dog.

Unless the man has provided the dog with a heated safe area for the dog to stay while it is freezing temps out.

What do you guys think???

And if you don't want him to know that you are the one who called animal control, I would go talk to your landlord, or just have a friend call it in for you.

Go call! No dog should be staying unprotected outside in freezing cold, right????????

·
Registered
851 Posts
Nice hubby!

". My husband told me just give him whatever he wants for money if that will make him hand the dog over.
You have a very nice husband apparently!!!

The dog's owner sounds like he simply does NOT care about this dog's welfare.

Sigh. Go make the dreaded call to animal control. Its not like the poor doggie can make the call himself, right?

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
How long can you watch this poor animal be abused before you decide to do something about it? The man obviously does not care about the dog and for some reason doesn’t want you to have it. Forget him think about the dog. If he won’t give the dog to you then tell your landlord he owns a dog and is miss treating it then call Animal Control and let them know the same thing. This poor dog needs somebody to intervene for him before he freezes to death or worse. Your neighbor sounds like a real jerk.. why give him any consideration? Please help this poor little dog.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Depending on how you think your neighbor will react (if he's not the crazy/violent type), I'd tell him that the dog is suffering and in pain and needs help and that you're willing to give it the help it needs and a loving home. Tell him that you're very worried about the dog and something needs to be done for it immediately. Either let you take it or the only choice you have is to call animal control. I don't think I'd tell him that though. You don't want to give him warning to hide the dog or do something else with the dog. Take pictures of the dog out in the rain and the situation it's in..but then bring him in! He needs medical treatment and a warm safe place to sleep. You already have evidence of a past broken leg, worms, fleas, frostbite. Remind him of all that. Hopefully he sees some reason and gives the dog to you. Offer him $50. He doesn't seem to care at all about the dog so I'd think some money would work. But if it doesn't offer more or call and report the situation. The dog needs to know what it's like to be loved and cared for. He/she needs you to take action.

P.S. If you can, post a pictures of the dog for us.

Thank you so much for taking him to the vet! Very few people are willing to step up and do something like that. You need this dog to be yours. Good luck!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts