Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I don't really know how to start this post..I've been quite worried about my dog's weight over the past few weeks. She is not in a bad condition,she's not clearly overweight but she was lighter before and now if I stare at her it's clear she looks bigger.
She's crossbreed Appenzeller so I googled the breed standards and it is indeed a muscular dog and it looks quite heavy to me although it also says it's an athletic breed. This breed can have over 22 kg apparently . My girl has only 18 but should that be okay just because the pure breed could weight more than that ? She is not the pure breed..I am not sure how much I should stick to the standards. Her personality is 80% Appenzeller.
The vet told us she's gonna have about 15 for sure. And she had only about 13 for some time (she looked too skinny ) and then reached 15-16 and she was okay. I cut out all the junky treats for 3 weeks and she still has 18 kg.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If your dog is a mix there is no set weight for her to be. If the vet says she's healthy, just go with it. You don't want to under or overfeed her because of a breed standard she doesn't full fit into. And even then, there are certain purebreds who are on the high or low end of the size spectrum.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would more on how your dog looks rather than the number on the scale. If I were to keep my beagle at the standard 25lbs she would be VERY skinny. There are some beagles who are also too plump at 25lbs. If your dog is in a healthy condition, you're doing right.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
How old is she?

I ask because if she's now a year, or older, she may not need quite as much food as she did a month or two ago, and that may be why she's not losing weight despite cutting out the treats.

Reactions: Tuckersmom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts