Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has had our Alaskan Malamute since he was a young child, the dog is about 17 now.

She has developed all the usual old age problems over the last couple of years: arthritis, urine retention problems, having problems controlling her bowels.

He arthritis got to the point a year or so a go where she can't go on walks any more without her hind legs giving out on her, and she is having trouble moving around the house.

The urine retention and bowel thing is gross and unhygenic for her and us as far as I am concerned.

The vet has told us that we can make her comfortable with pills, but the dog refuses to take them, and we have to pin her down to get her to swallow them, and we have gotten close to getting bitten in the process.

The dog has been my husbands family dog, and she has her moments of friskiness, but I think that her quality of like has sinken to the point where it is time to let go.

Am I alone on this?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
17 WOW what a good job :)

If pills are a prob-have you tried cream cheese? My mom just pops a pill in a wad of cream cheese-and you know dogs-they don't chew ;) Goes right down the hatch.

At any rate. I wouldn't consider euthanisia for a dog(or any pet) just becasuse they were :
a) old
b) have some health problems-especially ones that *could* be managed

***(Could -meaning you CAN afford it without skipping meals and selling your body;
Could-meaning you can handle the treatments-if you have to give needles at home and just can't stand the sight of them-that's not managing)

Euthanasia is EXTREMELY personal. You need to make the decisions yourself.

Some things to consider (Besides treatability of problems) are

1) Is the dog happy?

2) Does the dog eat with gusto or are you force feeding (and if you are force feeding is it because the dog can't eat or becasue he doesn't want to)

3) Does the dog still enjoy life in general? Being pet, laying by the fire, chicken dinner nights etc?

4) Is the dog suffering-or is the pain/discomfort manageable?

Here are some other links that offer support, help making the decison, and pre/post pet loss support.

Making the Decision - Putting a Pet Down

Dog Euthanasia. Putting Dog to Sleep

Euthanasia... What To Expect - Euthanasia - ThePetCenter.com - The Internet Animal Hospital

Pet Loss Grief Support, The Rainbow Bridge Poem, Monday Candle Ceremony,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies.

Most days she does seem happy. Some days she even seems like her younger self. It is the days that she is in terrible pain, when she can't even get up off the floor, make it through the doggy door, or play with our puppy that I know that it is her time.

We can't even keep up with proper grooming since even the slighest touch of the brush makes her flinch.

we have tried everything to get her to take the pills, cream cheese, cheese, pill pockets, grinding it up and putting it on her food. She even stopped eating for a week because she didn't trust anything that we gave her.

Yesterday we found her lying in her own feces. I don't know if she couldn't get up to make it out side, or didn't realize that she was going, but I think that it is her time.

Thank you again for all your support.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. It does sound like your making your making the right decision for her welfare.

We've always had a special day before we had a dog pts, usually a trip to the park and a cheeseburger-something along those lines; some family cudddling and spoiling. It is always sad for us but nice to give them one more show of our love.

*hugs* to you and your family. THis is always the hardest time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I forgot where I heard/read/watched this, but something about "the dog being in constant suffering" that you should do the dog a favor and euthanize it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts