Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
How would Ceasor Millan do more harm than good? I've had the priviledge of seeing him in action and he is fantasic. I also use his methods everyday training other dogs with really great results.

I never said you said locked up, you said keep him away from people. If you live in a family environment like the poster mentioned. Locking him away in a room or crate would be the only sure way to keep him apart from humans - which in the long run would only make his issues worse. It would be better to just put a muzzle on him and keep him around as much people as possible?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know about meds fixing behavioral problems, I guess they do just mask them because if you stopped the meds they would continue. But I do know there are some horse foods with calmers in them. Personally I would of thought training would be the only way to truly 'fix' the problem.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
maybe I missed where the OP said the dog attacked his family again keeping the dog away from people is not difficult, now if he is attacking family members who live in the house then the dog needs a new home. And I am sorry you feel Cesars methods are appropriate. Read the sticky with "shut down" in the title :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm not much of a trainer or anything but I do agree with Pawz that Cesar's methods will do more harm than good.

Also I think until you figure out what his triggers are and what's really going on a muzzle might be a good investment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok gonna try to answer a few posts. First I have tried a lot of rescues but all of them denied me because he has a biting history, and that includes the alaskan malamute rescue. By your medical opinion I was referring to your statement about the meds, I wasn't being a smart ass or anything, I have no idea if you are a vet or not. I will clear up though that I never said meds fix behavior problems, however since combining the meds with me working with him on a daily basis I have noticed a change, the problem is that its not enough. About his trigger, and this is my guess and my vet and trainer's best guess as well, because if its not a med issue (and its not) a guess is all you can do there is no certainty. But because of the nature of his bites, meaning he is fine and then he does a series of bite and release snaps, that he is doing so out of fear, he is a large powerful dog if he straight wanted attack someone it would be pretty easy for him maul them. That is why he was prescribed the meds to combat his over anxiety to help with his fear. Like I said thats a guess. I will certainly look into more shelters and rescues and even try to give him back to the breeder if in the near future the decision comes to that or being put down. The reason I will be holding off is because I think I'm going to try to keep him muzzled and put him around people as fairly frequently, I liked that idea. Maybe it will help him realize he doesn't have to defend himself. The only problem I see with this idea is that I do muzzle him to take him to the vet. It is a difficult process to get the muzzle on him because it scares the crap out of him. And when you first put it on him he bucks like a hoarse and claws his nose up to get it off causing him to self inflict wounds. However maybe a little bit of this as long as he doesn't hurt himself too bad is necessary if it helps. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What I would do is show him the muzzle is a "good thing."

To do this I would reward him for simply looking at the muzzle with treats. Then when he's checking it out praise him for it and give him more treats etc.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Don't muzzle him and don't put him around more people! Seriously? All a muzzle will do is help keep him from being able to do too much damage to someone it can actually add to his anxiety. You forcing him to interact with his trigger is making him more fearful. Why does he have to be around company?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Don't muzzle him and don't put him around more people! Seriously? All a muzzle will do is help keep him from being able to do too much damage to someone it can actually add to his anxiety. You forcing him to interact with his trigger is making him more fearful. Why does he have to be around company?
Posted via Mobile Device
Even if he's shown that the trigger isn't so bad after all with reward? That'll make him more fearful? I mean couldn't he maybe leash the dog and have people just walk by him and they toss treats at him from a distance or something to show that hey people are exciting!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Even if he's shown that the trigger isn't so bad after all with reward? That'll make him more fearful? I mean couldn't he maybe leash the dog and have people just walk by him and they toss treats at him from a distance or something to show that hey people are exciting!
At this point I do not foresee this dog being ok with people as he has bitten way too many times. I agree for walks he should be muzzled if the OP feels it is necessary or for other events such as grooming, vet visits, etc. But to force the dog to be around people IMO is just setting the dog up for failure even more and forcing him to wear a muzzle during this is too much excitement for him. A highly trained professional needs to come in and work with this dog. This will take months and months to even see any progress, again my opinion. This btw is coming from someone with a very reactive dog who has NEVER bitten because I do not allow him to be in situations where it is POSSIBLE.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have zero experience with aggressive dogs , but my heart goes out to the OP , id be devastated if this was one of my lot :(

Could you build him a secure outdoor kennel and run ?
granted it isnt ideal for a dog thats been used to being an indoor house dog , but its a short term solution to keeping him away from people while you work on his aggression ... and if there is nothing that can help him , then surely keeping him as an outside dog is a far better option than putting him to sleep

Or am I being incredibly naive :(

edited : sorry hun , you must have posted as I was writing , just saw outside kenneling isnt an option :(

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Wow name calling? Yea you want to hear "there is no helping your dog kill it" well too bad so sad that is NOT what I am going to say. I hope your dog can find a better home where they dont force him to interact with people

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Thread Closed!!! This is way too heated! Also just a reminder...
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-forum-announcements/dogforum-com-rules-1606/

AdamKrick, only you can make that decision.

I can however tell you this:
I am glad to hear that you have done what you have for your dog. I know you said that the vet took x-rays and had blood work done. The first thing that pops into my head is a thyroid problem. The vet likely did do that, but I would double check on it. If you already said that a thyroid panel was done and the results were normal, I am very sorry for asking about it again.

Second, if you wish to seek professional help, I would seek a behaviorist. This is a good place to start looking.
International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC)
It was already said, but I absolutely DO NOT reccomend Ceaser Milan or his techniques. I would also stay far, far away from any trainer using pack or dominance theory. It will not help in the long run and often it just makes it worse.

Third, as your dog has a history of biting, you really need to take preventative measures at all times. Crate him or keep him in a different room when you have guests. Invest in a good basket muzzle. What ever it takes.

I wish you luck!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.