Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a min pin for about 2 years. He is my world, as I'm sure all of you can relate. We did EVERYTHING together. About a week ago, I met a couple who was trying to find a home for their second min pin. So... I've had him for about 6 days now. He has separation anxiety so we're working on that but this isn't my main issue.

I'm second guessing if I should have gotten another dog. Now I'm thinking I like the idea of my first min pin being an 'only child'. However, then I think about this new dog and how he just wants someone to love and bond with him too.

I'm just nervous about losing the bond I have with my first pup. Hoping you all can offer me some advice. In a perfect world, my first pup would just speak up and tell me if he liked having the company or if he would rather be an 'only child'. UGHH! I'm sad:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can totally relate to what you are saying and I've had a similar experience not too long ago when I adopted a small poodle as a second dog.

First off... the bond between you and your first dog will never break. Dogs tend to love us forever regardless of what we do and bless your heart for taking in a dog that needed a home. That was a wonderful thing to do.

Secondly, you've only had your new adopted dog for 6 days. I would say hold on to him for at least 30 days before making a final decision. Adopted dogs need time to adjust to their new home environment and for some it's a bit harder than for others. But with a little love and care that a lot of them never experienced they often turn out to be really good, awesome pets.

My first dog didn't like the dog I had adopted at first...I was defastated because I really adopted the him as a friend for her. And I went through a lot of emotions of regret and concern but I held on to him and told myself that if things didn't work out after 2 months that I would take him back. It took my fur baby about four weeks to really warm up to the new addition and now they are the bestest of friends. They love playing tug together.

So again, I think 6 days is a very short time to really determine whether you've made a bad decision on adopting a dog. Remember everything is new to him... maybe give him a chance and see what happens... he might turn out to be a new best friend for the both of you.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I'm second guessing if I should have gotten another dog. Now I'm thinking I like the idea of my first min pin being an 'only child'. However, then I think about this new dog and how he just wants someone to love and bond with him too.

I ran a free range doggie boarding facility and my dogs had to share me with 10 to 15 dogs at all times and it never diminished the bond I have with my dogs. Having two is great there are so many doggie things that they can do together that your first dog could never do with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi

hi i have 3 dogs a 3 year old daughter and a 10 month old daughter and a husband and im only 21 but ive never lost the bond with my first dog or any of them for that matter as the family grew they stick by u and love u just the same as they did before even if half of ur attention is going to the other dog rather than ur first getting the whole lot dogs are very adjustable and just love love loveeee being around people and other dogs no one wants to be alone animal or human :D have fun with the both of them and dont worry it will all come together in time :dog-bone: :) x

·
Registered
604 Posts
I felt the same as you are. I had my beautiful girl, Gizmo, for two years when my mom (who lived with me) saw this other dog that she just couldn't live without. So we got the second dog and my poor Gizmo, who had a horrible accident and was learning to live with the use of just three of her legs, seemed to be totally devastated by having another dog in the house. She stopped eating and wouldn't move off the couch and would not even look at the new addition. I was ready to find another home for the new dog, but my mom really bonded with him already and I felt bad taking him away from her. I went and discussed this with my vet and she told me to act like nothing was wrong. I should treat my Gizmo like always and pretend I don't notice her not eating or playing. I did this but I was afraid it wouldn't work. I actually had to take her and have a balloon of water injected to keep her hydrated. And just when even my vet was ready to say rehome the second dog they started playing together. That was eight years ago and today the are the best of friends and cannot be separated. The point of the story is give them both time and love and it will all work out. Hopefully yours will bond without the drama we had, but it is always worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts