Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! A little over a month ago my family adopted a puppy from North Shor Animal League. Our puppy, Cooper, is a yellow lab mix and is now a little over 3 months old. I volunteer at North Shore and as my dad and I were walking through to leave the other day we met this amazing 2-3 year old Shepard/Hound mix. I've heard a lot about the dog and he's a great dog. I was just wondering does anyone think it would be a bad idea to bring in a young adult dog into our house with a small puppy? Cooper is still working on his potty training but has been improving a lot and we are starting him in puppy training classes as well. I just don't know what bringing an older dog into a house with a puppy would work. Thank you in advanced to anyone who responds :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats on the puppy! I don't have any experience with puppies yet, but I know they are a lot of work. I'm sure dogs can adjust to a lot of different things and living with different dogs. I think a lot of this comes down to whether or not you have the time to handle training two dogs or not. Older dogs have a lot of things they need help with training wise too, just like puppies. You might be able to see how the two dogs get along with each other first that might help you make a decision.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It can be done. But you have to really think about it, do you have the time and resources to care for two dogs? A puppy is a lot of work, as you know. And you'll really be treating this new dog as a puppy too. At least until you know he's house broken and trained. I would make sure they get a long first, you don't want to have an issue. Make sure you have two crates and everything else. Bowls, collars, leashes, toys and chews. It will be a lot of work, but you can do it as long as you are willing to put the effort into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I'm also concerned because Cooper does still cry in the crate when we leave. We leave him toys and put music on for him but nothing seems to work. Hopefully the trainer in his training classes can help us. I thought depending on the older dogs behavior he might be more calm with another dog in the house but at the same time I'm worried all his barking might stress out the older dog.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Which North Shore dog is it? I check on the shelter dogs online there every now and then and have come to recognize a few that have been there a lot.

Having two dogs is really wonderful- this is my second go of having two dogs; my most recent dog is 6 months and my older dog is almost 7. When my family got the 7 year old (6 years ago) we had a 5 year old dog (who passed several years ago). There's really nothing like watching the bond form between two dogs- seeing them cuddle together and play and generally entertain each other and everyone around them. That said, it can also be hugely stressful.

When my family first added a second dog we had to deal with quite a lot of issues- there were a few disagreements that nearly became full out fights and our older dog had trouble dealing with the rambunctiousness of a more energetic, much larger puppy. They ended up having a good relationship, but I think our first dog might have preferred us never getting the second.

Our second dog has absolutely taken to the newest puppy, though. They were the best of friends the second they met and there's yet to be even the slightest disagreement between them. That said, our older dog is unusually good with puppies and puts up with a lot.

Honestly, as much as I love having two dogs, I would hesitate to bring a young adult into a house where you're already training a small puppy. A young adult rescue can have a heck of a time adjusting to living in a house again, and you really want to be able to give 100% to a new dog. Training two dogs simultaneously is not an easy thing, and oftentimes is more stressful than fun. If this were a perfect dog (you knew he was house trained, crate trained, good with puppies, already had basic obedience and good manners and wasn't too much of a handful) then I would say maybe, but with the younger puppy at only 3 months you really still don't have much of an idea of what he's going to be like as an adult. Is this your family's first dog? Have you and your family lived through the adolescent period of puppyhood yet? If the answer to either of those is no I would be extremely hesitant.

If you did decide to go through with it I would highly recommend trying to take him home on a trial basis to make sure they get along and he isn't going to upset the household too much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I adopted from north shore also and his name is Cooper! I would guess it depends on your experience with dogs, also time and patience you have. I wouldn't but I have also made sure not to enter the adoption center since we adopted our pup. You volunteer there so its a lot harder to stay away. I really do want a 2nd dog but not right now. Hopefully we can get everything with Cooper. Next spring sounds about right for us.�� I have been saying absolutely no puppy but can't say I won't for sure. Our puppy has not really been too much trouble. Just the biting.

You wouldn't be the 1st to adopt 2 dogs so closely together. And I'm sure many people have had great success so if you feel the other dog is the right fit I say it's not the worst idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts