Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am 15 years old. I live with my family and my heart is set on a Siberian Husky, I did a lot of research for the past couple of weeks but I want to get answers from experts. What I read on was so far with the cons are-

-Independent, For some odd reason the independence draws me closer to the dog, I don't want a needy dog that always wants to be in my personal space or follow me around 24/7, I like a dog who will be content with just laying down knowing my presence is near.
-High Prey Drive, This concerns me because the family dog is a 5 year old Beagle but I heard stories if you raise one as a puppy the pup will know he is one of the family.
-Heavy Shedding, I don't mind actually, I find it very satisfying when I see a bunch of clumps of fur falls off, My mom said as long as I vacuum daily and clean after the fur, we are good.
-Not Off-leash, This doesn't bother me either, if the dog isn't capable of being trusted off-leash I completely understand. I don't mind using a long foot leash.
-Not for first time owners and difficult to train, This will not be my first dog, my first dog was of course the beagle, I am the main caretaker of him and he is the most stubborn dog I ever met, but I still love my troublemaker, My uncle has a HUGE Malamute and he always went on vacation so me and my family looked after him, My uncle always told me don't let your guard down when working with the Spitz dog breeds.
-Separation Anxiety, This is partly be a problem since I will be in school, but my mom is a 24/7 stay home mom and she loves hanging out with our family dog,
-Exercise, This is the fun part and the main reason I love huskies. doing they were born to do, Pull sleds in Siberia. I would LOVE to try bikejoring and dryland mushing, I think when they get to do what they were born to do, they become content and happy. It's amazing what these dogs can do- Pull a sled for miles and miles on end, Amazing.
-Escape Artists, This is my biggest concern, I heard the stories where they jump a 9 feet fence, use objects around them to help, and even digging under. I have a 7 feet fence and dug down 2 feet, The back of our yard is chainlink 6ft fence, I saw a video where it climbed the fence, If this does do happen to be that bad, I will commit to going outside with the dog every time, supervise while they use the bathroom, or use a tieout only when using the bathroom.
-Loudness, My neighbors are old aged and they used to have a dog that howled the neighborhood down, everybody loved him until he sadly passed away from cancer... It been very quiet since and I think everyone would love a beautiful howl that would keep the neighborhood active again. I also love the way they howl because it literally sounds like they are talking to you.. Its amazing.

Huskies are amazing for the right people and hopefully I am one of them, If you want additional details

-It's a family of 4,everybody is onboard with the thought of a new dog.
-We have a house and a medium-sized backyard.
  • When I leave for College the dog will be staying with my Mom and Dad
  • I am willing to go to training classes
  • I am willing to run my dog before school for 40 mins and after school for 40 mins and have a train/play session,
  • When I turn 16 and get my first job I will definitely be putting my dog on insurance as they have most problems with Cataracts, Epilepsy, and Hip Dysplasia.
-Digging I don't mind because our backyard already looks like 1,000 rabbit holes because of our beagle 馃槄
-We will get a tracking collar and a microchip just incase they escape
- Preferably we want a puppy so we can socialize and teach good manners, but I am willing to adopt because every dog deserves a good home, but not every home deserves a dog.

Hopefully I am ready to take on the Howling Houdini, Thank you for your time. :giggle:

Super Moderator
When I leave for College the dog will be staying with my Mom and Dad
And this is why, right now, you shouldn't get a dog. Any dog!

Clearly, you've done your research. This is to your credit, and FWIW, I think you'll make a fantastic dog owner, whichever breed you choose.

But.

You're 15. Realistically, and legally, this wouldn't be your dog anyway - it would be your parents'. You have your whole life ahead of you. The next few years will be tumultuous. Give yourself time. Go to college, get a job, get your own place - and then get a dog.

And don't assume that, because your elderly neighbours had a dog that howled the neighbourhood down, that they, or the rest of the neighbour, will be happy to have another one. They may actually be glad of the peace and quiet. ;)

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. But understand, this isn't a No. Just a "Not yet!"

Super Moderator
First of all, I'm really impressed with your research. I'm also really impressed that you have found this forum and are seeking advice from other dog owners. You will make a terrific owner in the future.

The big problem is that you will be leaving for college in three years. Then after you get your degree, you'll want to have the freedom and flexibility to work and/or continue your studies. It's very likely you'll end up living somewhere else in an apartment that doesn't allow for dogs, or at least, larger dogs. You're simply not in the position to make the kind of commitment a new dog requires. This would only work if your parents themselves really want to get a husky because the reality is that this would be their dog.

So this is a dream to hold for the future. Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
And this is why, right now, you shouldn't get a dog. Any dog!

Clearly, you've done your research. This is to your credit, and FWIW, I think you'll make a fantastic dog owner, whichever breed you choose.

But.

You're 15. Realistically, and legally, this wouldn't be your dog anyway - it would be your parents'. You have your whole life ahead of you. The next few years will be tumultuous. Give yourself time. Go to college, get a job, get your own place - and then get a dog.

And don't assume that, because your elderly neighbours had a dog that howled the neighbourhood down, that they, or the rest of the neighbour, will be happy to have another one. They may actually be glad of the peace and quiet. ;)

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. But understand, this isn't a No. Just a "Not yet!"
Alright, I will hold off from getting the dog and wait till I got myself a nice home and a lovely backyard for the dog's happiness and my parents reputation 馃槄

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, I'm really impressed with your research. I'm also really impressed that you have found this forum and are seeking advice from other dog owners. You will make a terrific owner in the future.

The big problem is that you will be leaving for college in three years. Then after you get your degree, you'll want to have the freedom and flexibility to work and/or continue your studies. It's very likely you'll end up living somewhere else in an apartment that doesn't allow for dogs, or at least, larger dogs. You're simply not in the position to make the kind of commitment a new dog requires. This would only work if your parents themselves really want to get a husky because the reality is that this would be their dog.

So this is a dream to hold for the future. Good luck!
Thanks, I will definitely wait for the right time to get the dog since I know Huskies have a Strong pack drive and love to be with their family, Also when I do get out of college I will be coming right back home and save up money until I can purchase a wonderful home and a big backyard so my future pup can live a wonderful life!

Super Moderator
Absolutely! Once we get past COVID-19 restrictions, I might suggest that you volunteer with your local animal shelter or rescue. In normal times, many shelters and rescues rely on having volunteers who can walk, socialize, and work with their dogs. That would both give you more experience and an opportunity to get your canine "fix." :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely! Once we get past COVID-19 restrictions, I might suggest that you volunteer with your local animal shelter or rescue. In normal times, many shelters and rescues rely on having volunteers who can walk, socialize, and work with their dogs. That would both give you more experience and an opportunity to get your canine "fix." :D
Occasionally my Mom would take me and our beagle to a Dog event and there鈥檚 always many rescue dog non-profit businesses that always love a foster, I would love to foster and get the full experience of having a dog such as a Husky or some similar, My mom is against it because she said most dogs you foster, you become emotionally attached and end up with 12 dogs :LOL:
But volunteering for them would be lovely and I can convince my mom to give it a try. Our beagle could use some company besides my mom.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Also I should make a disclaimer, The college that I will be going to is NOT out of state, My mom said she doesn't want to lose me from such a far away state. So when I do go to college, since it's to much money I will not be getting a dorm nor an apartment, The only difference is I will be staying home it's just my schedule is much more different.
Also, This will be my parents dog since they are signing the contract to get the dog until I'm 18. Until then, This is be my parents dog but my mom and I will be half and half with the responsibly of the dog. I just wanted to say that if I made some confusion that I will be leaving out of state and never seeing my dog until 2-4 years go by.

Registered
Would your parents be able to handle/exercise the dog while you are at college? I know you will still be living with them but you are going to have very little time to devote to the dog because of your schedule which will include classes, commutes, working, and studying. Yes, the dog can wait for you to come home and you can take it out before studying/going to work but the Siberian husky is a working dog that is prone to being destructive, loud and escaping when bored.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Would your parents be able to handle/exercise the dog while you are at college? I know you will still be living with them but you are going to have very little time to devote to the dog because of your schedule which will include classes, commutes, working, and studying. Yes, the dog can wait for you to come home and you can take it out before studying/going to work but the Siberian husky is a working dog that is prone to being destructive, loud and escaping when bored.
I spoke about it with my Mom and brother yesterday about taking care of the dog while I鈥檓 not here, My brother goes on bike trails all the time and My mom sometimes walks for 4 miles with her college friends, We were watching about huskies escaping and since my brother does homeschool he can watch the dog while it uses the bathroom, We were planning on buying supplies chews like Nylabones and Antlers and things to keep the dog occupied such as Kong or Chilly Bone, And since Huskies are pack oriented my beagle can keep them company,

Registered
Oh! That works out! I don't see much of a reason why a Husky couldn't be a fit considering how much research you did and your family is not only active but on board as well.

Registered
Maybe you could get a hamster or something, It most likely will pass by the time you get to collage, and if it does not, most colleges allow caged animals in dorms, (Mine did, I had 2 guinea pigs named Koolaid and Ellie)

Registered
Maybe you could get a hamster or something, It most likely will pass by the time you get to college, and if it does not, most colleges allow caged animals in dorms, (Mine did, I had 2 guinea pigs named Koolaid and Ellie)
They said that they are staying at home for college, not in a dorm.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you could get a hamster or something, It most likely will pass by the time you get to collage, and if it does not, most colleges allow caged animals in dorms, (Mine did, I had 2 guinea pigs named Koolaid and Ellie)
My mom and I already planned I鈥檓 not going to use a dorm nor an apartment, The college I hope to get into is close to home so I can stay home, Everybody in the family is onboard with the decision of an dog, We will all play a part in the dogs life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts