Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a puppy two weeks ago and my puppy is always cold outside when I walk him. Should I get a sweater coat for him?

·
Registered
98 Posts
How big is the puppy? What kinds of breed? I bought a tiny one just the other day b/c he was shivering outside, but his breed does not tolerate extreme heat or cold. I think it depends on the breed, and the age. Anyone else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sweaters and outerwear are so important!

Just like you and me, sweaters and outerwear are so important for us, so I don’t see why it would be any different for your pet when they’re outdoors this winter…

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, like aprcarls said, I think a lot depends on the breed as well as coat of th dog. If you have a thin coated say Chihuahua, then yes you might need to get him a coat. If you have say a thick coated Australian shepherd then no, a coat really is not needed. However, you indicated that your dog is cold so I'd put a coat on him. There are many types on the market to choose from. Sweaters, jackets, joggin suits, sweat shirts....the list can go on. I would make sure that you get nothing restrictive and always surpervise when he wears it. I myself prefer the dog coats that are made just like horse blankets. They are the least restrictive while giving warmth can be lined and also waterproof.
BTW: Welcome to the Dog Forum! Do you have any pics of your pupster?
Hope this helps you out!
Cheers!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yea when Xander was a pup he would get really cold when we went for a walk so I got him a cute little coat and he really liked it. So if he has a thin fur coat or acts as if he's really cold when you go outside then yea I would get him one, but if he seems to be doing alright it's not necessary.

There are several places to find fashions for dogs now a days but since it goes with the thread I'd like to invite you to check out my boutique as well. And good congrats on the new pup, can't wait to see some pics!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made Stuart a coat. We live on the West Coast of Canada and it can be rainy in the winter. I wanted to make sure his tummy was completely covered because I want to keep road-grime splashing up from his feet. He is white, and his belly gets really dirty if the roads are wet. I make my own patterns, but basically the design covers him from neck to tail, fastens around his chest, and fastens under his belly. I custom draw the pattern and measured between his front and back legs to get the exact width the fabric needs to cover, so no belly is exposed (except he is a male so I had to make allowances for certain parts of his body that stick out down there...)
I use a special fabric made by Polartec, it's called Powershield. Its quite expensive but is intended to technical outerwear (people jackets). It is very stretchy (both ways), lightweight and breathable so he doesn't get hot, extremely water and wind repellent, and of course washable. I put reflective tape on the outside. He has one in blue, one in orange, and one in red. I would love to make him a plaid coat (he is a Westie, so a Scottish tartan would be cute) however Powershield is very hard to get in the first place, and it sure isn't available in plaid. I wont work with cheap fabrics and I want it to be waterrepellent.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really have nothing to add as everyone else made great points, but Westiewoman, I'd like to see a pic. of the coat you made! My dogs are low to the ground, too, and I love the horse blanket type coats GG mentioned that are made for dogs, but they don't cover enough of the belly for me. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have boots for my Doberman, and had a matching coat, but her chest got too large for it. Dobermans can't tolerate cold or extreme heat either. I put sun block on her in the summer. ^.^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts