Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have a dog, but my husband thinks it would be cruel for us to have one because we both work full time. We don't have kids either.

After watching a dog show on television, I see there are lots of types of dogs. I'm wondering if there is any breed that might be ok with being alone 8-10 hours per day. What do you think?

Here are the "positive" things we have:

* Our suburban home has an average sized back yard that wraps around 3 sides of our house -- ok for a little running.
* I like to jog 3 days per week, and enjoy walking on other days. But those walks/jogs are usually 30 minutes or less. I would be happy to bring the dog.
* I'm happy to adopt an adult dog rather than a puppy.

I won't be offended if you agree with my husband. But if you think I could be a good dog owner, could you recommend a breed? Also, I would love to hear what kinds of weekend/evening time commitments I should be prepared for. Thank you.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Many people work full time and have a dog. I wouldn't suggest getting a puppy, they are a lot of work. But an adult dog could fit in. What are some things you want in a dog? I know you said you jog a few times a week. So you'd probably want to stay away from tiny dogs. What size dog do you like? Hair type, are you up to grooming/getting the dog's hair cut or do you just want to use a brush a few times a week? Do you want something that is more outgoing or a bit more aloof?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I don't like spending much time on my own hair (I keep it short), I would probably prefer a dog with low grooming requirements. :)

Personality wise, I'm not sure what I would like. I am kind of a shy & quiet person, but I don't mind hanging around with more outgoing people. I am a little nervous about the liability of owning a dog that might go crazy and bite someone -- are they considered outgoing, or aloof?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Dogs are a bit like kids in the sense that they're going to restrict your freedom. You need to feed them and walk them daily which means spur of the moment trips are out and vacation needs a bit of planning.

Sounds like you wouldn't have a problem with exercising a dog a brisk 30min jog 3x a week plus 2 walks a day sounds like enough exercise to me.

Adult vs Puppy. Puppies are more work than adult dogs its true but that period goes by relatively quickly.

There isn't really enough information to say whether you should or shouldn't get a dog. Do you want a dog? Are you ready to commit the time to raising it well and taking care of it? If so, get a dog! They're pretty awesome.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Something about your posts just strikes me as you perhaps being a greyhound person.
Check them out. Normally quiet and sweet natured. Easy to groom coats. Will be able to keep up with your exercise routine but are alo normally couch potatoes inside....

There are many breed specific rescues across the US. You'll likely be able to find a group as well a spend some time with greys to get a feel for them. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are you ready for a pet? There's lots of good info on the website I linked to help you decide. Having a dog is a bit like having a toddler. Some are easy, some can be very challenging. You really won't know until you start sharing your life with them. Especially if this will be your very first dog, research is going to be very important IMO. You came to a good place to ask questions. Lots of good folks with great opinions here and they will show you some good resources to acess to help you make your decision. Good luck and when/if you do get a dog make sure to come back and share photos and stories with us from a brand new dog owner perspective. I can't remember a time in my life I didn't have at least 1 dog lol.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm not normally one to jump right to labs, but labs really are good first time dogs. I'd recommend getting an adult, over 2 or 3 years old. Labs, despite being short haired do shed quite a bit. Do you mind fur all over? Short haired doesn't mean less shedding, keep in mind. My lab/pointer sheds all the time. My basset sheds a bit less and my dane hardly sheds at all.
Or go to the shelter and meet the dogs, let them know what you are looking for and see if anyone matches you.
I'd suggest a great dane, but they are a more specialized breed. And I don't think they would do well being home alone all day. Since getting my dane I've had a constant shadow.
A dog that would bite someone is neither aloof or outgoing, but is either doing it out of fear is just human aggressive. An aloof dog is one that isn't excited to meet every people it sees. My dane is semi aloof. She will greet people but doesn't need to see everyone. Which is great when walking through a crowd.
Greyhounds are great, sweet dogs. I've met a few and I've really liked them. They don't always do well with cats or other small animals. But it will vary dog to dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't top the great advice already given, but when you have definitely decided you want to adopt a dog, I suggest going to one or more shelters to spend some time with various dogs. I also recommend adopting from a shelter. If you spend some time at a shelter that adopts, you might find a dog you click with - and then you'll know! :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I work full time and just adopted my dog. I was worried about it being "cruel" too. But with my dog he chose me and it really is the quality of time we spend together. Everyday he gets a 30 minute fetch session in the backyard, 10 minutes of chase mom in the back yard, at least a 30 minute walk, and 40 minutes inside where we go over all his commands. We spend time together otherwise too but I have a cat also and those set aside times each day are his and his alone, no cat brother to share them with. On the weekends he gets a 2 hour dog park session on Sundays and Saturdays we try to take a park hike. I am a hound lover so I am all for suggesting a hound if you have the energy to wear them out if not choose a different breed :p

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I really second a greyhound. :) They like to do a bit of running and could likely jog with you, when they are inside they tend to be couch potato. Generally I would consider them lower energy dogs. They are sprinters, not really distance runners and from my experience are lower energy once they get their 5-10 minutes of zoomies out in the yard.

A retired racing greyhound could make a really nice companion for you. My retired racer was just a lovely dog, sweet reserved temperament, liked to be close but not overly needy, enjoyed a walk but was just as content having a lazy day indoors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the kind suggestions. I found a local group that has a retired racing greyhound adoption "meet and greet" at the end of this month, after Christmas. I will check them out, based on your suggestions. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts