Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, after I finished high-school and started college I don´t attend to any form of exercise. Now if I had a dog I would definitely walk it, its not that I cannot walk, its just that I don´t have the motivation to walk for no reason. I have been to getter with girls before who´s had dogs, and I´ve done my share of walking those, two of them have been sheep dogs.

I am also thinking about what kind of dog I would get, I do live in Norway with the usual temperature ranging from 20 Celsius ( 70 Fahrenheit) in the summer and to -20 Celsius (-5 Fahrenheit) in the winter with snow. I also believe I would like a big dog, I don´t know.

Anyway, I would not get a dog tomorrow or anything, I know this a big decision and I do believe I would wait about half a year or more from now before it would I would get a dog because of various reasons.

Thanks for any help

Edit:
I also wanted to say that one of the girls I´ve been to getter with, who had a sheep dog. It always pulled the leash, but after I started to walk it regularly it seldom pulled my leash. But always when I got home to her place it would be extreamly happy to see me.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi

what do you think of a finnish spitz?

larger dog, double coat, decent energy levels. :)

Country of Origin:FinlandFCI Classification:Group 5- Spitz and primitive types; Nordic Hunting DogsFCI Official NameSuomenpystykorva (Finnish Spitz); other common names: FinkieUtilization:Hunting dog, guard and watchdogAKC Classification:Non-Sporting GroupPersonality:Active and friendly, lively and eager, faithful, brave but cautious. A little reserved towards strangers but never vicious.Size Category:Small/MediumHeight:16.5-18.5 inches at shouldersColors:Varying shades of golden-red ranging from pale honey to deep auburn are allowed, so long as the color is bright and clear. The undercoat is a paler color. White markings on the tips of the toes and a narrow white strip on the forechest are permitted. Puppies may have a good many black hairs which decrease with age. Average Litter Size:4Life Span:10-12 yearsGrooming Requirements:The Finnish Spitz has a naturally dirt-proof coat which only requires brushing when moulting. No bathing required at all. These dogs are very clean and practically have 'doggy odor'. Shedding:Moderate, seasonalSocial skills:The Finnish Spitz gets along with other small animals. Suitability for Children:Being sweet-natured and playful, they make wonderful companions for children.Exercise Needs:A minimum 40 minute walk is a must, but these dogs will take all the exercise that you can provide.Train Ability:This is a very intelligent and easy to housebreak breed.Health & Behavior Issues:Diabetes mellitus, hip dysplasia

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to want a dog because you want the DOG not because you need an exercise buddy alone. Do you want to play with a dog, train a dog, and have a being who needs you everyday? If not then get a fish or better yet wait for any pets until you are out of college and on your own. More animals are abandon by college students when they go home for breaks, vacation or leave college. www.alaskadognews.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
what do you think of a finnish spitz?
Looks similar to the dog I mention in the original post. :) Nice

You need to want a dog because you want the DOG not because you need an exercise buddy alone. Do you want to play with a dog, train a dog, and have a being who needs you everyday? If not then get a fish or better yet wait for any pets until you are out of college and on your own. More animals are abandon by college students when they go home for breaks, vacation or leave college. www.alaskadognews.com
Ive always had a Cat, but as expected I outlived it. It became 20 before it died and I wear 18. And also I am a foster parent for a cat now, and we are enjoying the TV as we speak (or at least Im watching TV and its sleeping on top of me). But I am just keeping this one so it wont be put to rest while the animal shelter tries to find a new home for it. I know there is a big difference between a dog and a cat, but at least a cat is enjoying life because of me. I would not abandon the dog for any vacation, because of two reasons, 1. I usually do not travel for vacations almost not at all, 2. I live less than 45minutes from my moms place, and she and her boyfriend regularly is watching his daughters dog when she and her family travels. And I admit getting to get a training buddy, but I also know that this buddy is a commitment not just for walking outside

Better yet - be a dog walker. You get the exercise, maybe make a little money but do not have the burden of a dog right away. You'll learn a lot about dogs. www.alaskadognews.com
I dont think we have any pre-established dog walking services around where i live, I would need to look that up. :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! :)

I know how you feel. I would never have gone for walks all by myself, but I love going with my dog.

My mother in law (my boyfriends mother) was a cat person too. She got two chihuahua's in the past two years, and is now a dog person. :)

That is very kind of you to keep the cat so he won't have to go to a shelter.

You've done some dog walking-so I think you have some good experience. Many times the walks is the thing people do not want to do.

And you've figured out who can look after your dog should you have to travel!

I think you are on the right track. :)

I live in Edmonton, Canada; Our yearly average temperature is zero celcius, as it gets to 40- below in the winter and sometimes as high as 40+ celcius in summer :) But that doesn't mean any one breed should be owned or that other breeds cannot be owned. -
Basically-if your dog can be in the house with you-were the temperature is good for you, your dog will be OK. They may need a jacket in the winter if they get cold, or baths in the summer to stay cool -but so do we! :)

Are there any shelters near you? I would really suggest getting a dog from an animal shelter for a couple of reasons.
1) obviously your saving a life :)

but more importantly to your situation:

2) A puppy is a LOT of work, and first time dog owners may have a hard time 'potty training' them. It's also like having a baby-they wake you up a few times a night-sometimes to eat, poop or just play!

3) As an adult dog, you can better tell his/her personality and what the dog is like. All puppies are goofy and playful. But you can't really tell how they are going to be when they grow up. Picking an adult dog in a shelter will help you pick the best personality for you!

Welcome again :) Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suppose when a person is so lonely that he is not interested in people, then he really should have a pet. Why do we have pets? Because we want to take care of someone. When a person does not want to accept your care for various reasons, the animal will accept the care, not evaluating, not judging, as it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts