Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there :)
My dog Wall-e's having problems with his left ear. I looked a little inside and there's some ear wax build up outside the ear hole. I'm assuming the inside of his ear hole is probably way more dirty.

Wall-e's itchy ears have been bothering him for about a week now, so I decided to look up how to clean his ears out on youtube. They showed how to put ear drops in their ears and how to clean them out after with cotton balls. But every single video I looked at recommended to take your dog to the vet first before doing this, because there could be something stuck in their inner ear.

I'm a full time student and I have $150 to my name, I tried to set up an appointment for my dog, but the lady at the table told me the visit'll cost up to $200 alone and probably another few hundred to get his ears cleaned. I asked my family for help, but they're either unwilling or can't afford to help either.

I really want to help, but I don't want to cause more issues for Wall-e. I'm planning to go to pet-co tomorrow morning and pick up some dog ear drops and cotton balls, too clean his ears out myself. They aren't infected as far as I know and it doesn't seem to be causing him pain besides some itching.

Sorry for the life story, should i go through with my plan or hold off until i can afford to take him to the vet? :ponder:

·
Registered
917 Posts
A couple hundred to clean ears? That is insane. When Vegas had ear issues as a puppy it was a normal vet visit plus medicated ear drops. Switching to a raw diet cleared his ears up, but I think there was some permanent damage done then. So I clean his ears often, I clean all the dogs ears. It's not hard to do and is a good routine to get into.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If they're not infected, then cleaning them yourself should do it. It's pretty easy and not complicated. I too think that a couple hundred to clean ears is completely insane!! I only pay 40 for them to be seen, and ear cleaning is very cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree that a couple hundred to clean ears is way too much. If they aren't infected then you should by some ear drops and clean his ears yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with everyone else that $200.00 (or more) is a ludicrous amount to pay for a vet visit/ear cleaning. Assuming his ear is not infected, I think you should go ahead and try to clean them yourself. However, if you really think a trip to the vet is necessary and you're on a budget, I would see if there are any limited-income veterinary clinics in your area that offer services at more reasonable prices.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cleaning your dog's ears (and plucking them, depending on the breed) should be a part of your routine maintenance.

If your dogs ears are in poor condition (smelly, inflamed, itchy), it may be worth it to have a vet clean and examine them (although I think $200 is quite steep for this kind of thing). After the ears are in proper condition, you should maintain them.

There are many liquid products that you can use to clean the ear with a cotton ball. There are also cream products that dry and turn into powder. You can apply the cream to the freshly cleaned ear and massage it in to keep the ear dry and clean (moisture in the ear canal can lead to infections).

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
We have Samantha groomed every month, and cleaning her ears is part of grooming, as well as nail clipping, and anal gland check, & express if there are no problems (impacted) with it. The entire process is a huge amount less than $200.00.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Laco, that's a great point. If the ears are not infected, then going to a groomer to get them cleaned up could be a good, economical option for the OP. The groomer would also be able to tell if a vet trip is needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I clean my dog's ears myself and have never had a problem. Regular upkeep means that no infections or long term more serious problems. You should be able to tackle this on your own.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know someone has already mentioned this, but a groomer is a great option. You can usually get an ear cleaning and plucking as a walk-in (without having to pay for a groom if you can't afford it) and all the groomers I know will do a careful check of your pup and let you know if there's anything that's concerning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts