Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy got hold of really strong oven cleaner he just licked it Immediately I washed his mouth out. He was shocked at first but after a while he was back to himself, he is eating, drinking and going toilet as normal, but he is foaming at the mouth now constantly since he licked the stuff and his tongue is wrinkled and there is a bit of greyish build up on the back of it. What should I do? Should I be worried?:confused:

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Seconding calling the vet.

With some chemicals it only takes one lick to cause a horrible reaction, anti-freeze comes to mind, and it's better to be safe then sorry.

Reactions: harleyboysmom

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Please get them to the vet ASAP

After working in hospitality for years & spending a lot of time in commercial kitchens, I have witnessed some horrific incidents with oven cleaner. One wrong move can really damage an adult human, I don't want to imagine what it could do to a young pup.

Please keep us updated & wishing you both all the best!

·
Registered
27 Posts
His mouth likely has burns. You probably didn't get it all when you washed his mouth, and tissue damage or burns can result even if you did flush it. It only takes a second - oven cleaner is very caustic!! A vet is needed to check this and to rule out any other possible problems - especially if he swallowed any. Good luck - I hope it doesn't end up being too serious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, everyone thanks for the advice.
Pumba went to the vet today and he has a few small blisters on his lip and gums. He was given two injections, an antibiotic and a painkiller. He was given 4 different medicines for at home, painkillers, antibiotics, and two stomach things, one to stop acid and the other to provide a coating on his stomach. He is doing very well now and was put on a liquid diet of chicken soup and he loves it, hes in great form and we are hoping for a good recovery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.