Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I got a new puppy three weeks ago. She's a Miniature Australian Shepherd. I have three other dogs, and they all are seeming to get along with each other... for the most part.

My three year old papillon, Ziggy, doesn't like to be crowded, and Kalani (the puppy) is already a little bigger than him. With the other dogs, when Ziggy is feeling overwhelmed, he gets fussy, barks, and gives them a warning nibble/nip on the nose to tell them to back off. What I'm noticing with the puppy, when he does this, is she snarls and nips him back (and usually quite a lot harder than Ziggy's initial nip).

I'm just a little concerned. Is it normal for an eleven week old puppy to be displaying such dominance already? Should I scold her when she stands up to my papillon? Ziggy's a very little guy. I don't want him to get hurt one of these times a squabble breaks out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That is a bit bold for such a young puppy. I would definitely redirect her from that behavior. She may just be playing but either way you don't want her being rough with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. I've raised two other dogs from pups in the past few years and they NEVER stood up to my first, older adult dog like that.

She only seems to get pushy with my papillon. With my adult mini Aussie and Australian Cattle dog, she backs down when they give her their "I'm done playing" cues. This could be because they are bigger than her. Not sure.

It doesn't really seem like play behavior, which is what's worrying me. She plays hard with my other Aussie and there's definitely a difference between her play growls and her growling when the papillon and her get into it.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
She may be a bit of a bully and be viewing your papillon as another puppy that she can push around.

I'd redirect her whenever she starts to bother the papillon so that she does not keep practicing the bad behavior, and Ziggy doesn't feel the need to correct her. Try working to teach her that good things happen when the papillon is around as that will help her to view Ziggy as a source of good things and not something that should be run off.

Reactions: kelly528
1 - 4 of 4 Posts