Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasper is 10 weeks old and is crated at night. In the morning he is fed and offered water freely until I leave for work at 8:30. He is then crated 8:30-11. The dog walker waters/feeds, walks him, then crates him 11:30-1:45. Once I am home he is offered water freely until around 6pm. After that, I usually will offer him an ice cube or two to play with, but no bowl of water. He doesn't act super thirsty but wondering if it's a good idea to leave him some water during the day time crating? He hasn't had any accidents so don't want to do anything to mess that up. But then I am reading that he should be drinking an ounce of water per pound of body weight and I definitely do not think he is drinking 5 ounces of water per day. Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
We never left water out overnight for our pups during housebreaking. They had access throughout the day, did a late feeding with water, then outside for a bit an hour later, that was it til morning. Dry kibble tends to increase water intake, wet foods not so much.

·
Registered
439 Posts
5 ounces of water is a pretty small amount. I think your puppy should be just fine I imagine he's probably drinking plenty! For some peace of mind you could measure it out and keep track throughout the day so you know he's hitting that mark.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016
1 - 3 of 3 Posts