Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It depends on your individual dog and sans any issues with grains its your choice weather to have your dog on a food with or without grains. Some dogs have a grain intolerance, some don't but do better off it, and some don't have a intolerance and do good on it.
You could try both types and see which your dog does best on, or you could just pick one and see how it goes. If any issues arise on grain it might mean that your dog will do better off it, or has some sort of issue with grains. Fromm is a good brand so either choice will be good :).
You could also talk to a vet nutritionist to get more detailed info about grains in dog food and how they work in a dogs system.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Your welcome :),
As I said a lot of is going to be dependent on your dogs system, and how it processes grains. I think I should have worded that a bit differently, I meant more along the lines of the dog doing well on grain inclusive. Meaning they can eat grain inclusive and have no issues. I don't know if there are any scientific reasons but I have heard here and there that some dogs just end up doing better on grain free.

Really if your dog has no issues with grain inclusive food (and vice versa) and that's what you want to feed then go for it. The important thing is that the food you give your dog is something they do well on.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think grains are horrible, but I always go for grain free simply because they don't really get any real amount of nutrition from them. Plus one of my dogs definitely can't have them(she throws up and loses her hair) so I just avoid them.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I know some dogs have sensitivities, so should I go grain free before even attempting the "standard" option?

Fromm Standard Puppy:
https://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/#puppy-gold

Fromm Grain Free Puppy:
https://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/#heartland-gold-puppy
Dogs don't digest grains very well so they just end up on the lawn. Why pay for something they can't use. Grain free usually has more usable protein in it. Protein builds lean muscle mass grains just add fat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looking at the guaranteed analysis of both food you posted, they are almost the same, one with brow rice and the other with pea flour. They both have the same amount of minimum crude protein. So either one should be good.

In my opinion going grain-free or not is not much of a concern if your dog is healthy and has no allergy problems. Also as long as you stick to good quality grains your dog will be fine (no corn or wheat as a main ingredient). Always read the label for ingredients and guaranteed analysis.

I personally like food with higher protein (minimum crude protein close to or exceed 30%) and no less than 18% min fat to ensure that my dogs will have enough protein.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You could do either, what matters most is which your puppy does best on. Some dog owners report diarrhea/GI upset with grain free/higher protein foods, and the general assumption I've heard is that it's too rich for some dogs. Others are the opposite, so just like with people, it's an individual thing.

One of my dogs has been fine on both foods with and without grain, the other does better on grain inclusive food, the extra carbs seem to help keep him from being rail thin like he was on grain free food (it did help him to lose weight he needed to lose when I got him, but once we reached the goal weight, I was feeding an insane amount to maintain it). I did try a couple different types of grain free foods with my boy (Core, Acana, and he was eating over 2.5 cups a day- he's a lean 13 lbs, so that's a LOT of food for him) and his hips and a good bit of spine were visible, though he had good muscle tone, coat, and energy level. He spent the first summer I had him teetering on the "too thin" line, increasing his food more gave him diarrhea, adding fat did the same, and he really looked like crap after those episodes. I started adding some carbs at his vet's recommendation and he did gain just a hair. I couldn't see paying top dollar for a high end grain free food and adding in donuts and pizza, so I just switched to a slightly lower quality food that has more carbs. He usually eats between 1-2 cups of it, with the higher amounts being when he's super active and/or doing lots of swimming in colder water- that cuts what little fat he has like a hot knife through butter. He does get some scraps here and there, but not because he looks like a coat rack anymore :) Sometimes if he's getting up toward the higher amounts of food and looking a bit too lean, I'll buy a bag of higher fat kibble and mix that in, or just make sure to give him some fattier scraps/treats, but I really don't mess with the carb/protein intake much.

ETA: His current food gets a 4 star rating on dog food advisor, so it's not a horrible food, and only around $1/lb through my work :) He's currently getting it mixed with a bag of Wellness fish something or other because I got it on sale at petco and he's always crazy about the cats' fish flavored foods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do agree with Dawnben, Earlier I used to feed my boxter some grain with his diet, but he couldn't digest it properly & had some issues. Now I stick to raw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts