Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shock Collars

6K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Luananeko 
#1 ·
My boyfriend and I are in disagreement on the use of shock collars. He thinks it is a great idea where I am completely against it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on the use of these collars. I would like to share this information with him.

#2 ·
I think using shock collar is appropriate only when you're trained to use it (because timing must be perfect otherwise your dog won't learn anything) and it's not being used with a puppy. Although the level of electricity is very low but if your dog is fearful by nature, this can cause trouble in your dog. You can read more at: Dogs Trust: Information: Poppy's Opinions: Shock collars

#3 ·
I do not think it is a great idea unless in very rare exception and after common educational methods have failed. You should only use them under instruction and supervision of somebody who really knows what he is doing.

In Switzerland the use of electric shock collars is not allowed -the use of scent or air/water spray collars is not recommended in general and sale is restricted.

#8 ·
Shock collars (E-collars) make great training tools for competition and/or high drive dogs. If you have a working line German Shepherd, Doberman, Rottweiler, etc. then an E-collar may be needed because these dogs tend to be bred to have a HIGH thresh hold for pain. I am NOT saying that every dog that is classified as an "aggressive" breed is like this. Dogs that are bred for Police or Schutzhund work have a higher level of tolerance for pain and an E-collar may become necessary to control them.

I would also only recommend an E-collar if you are doing Schutzhund, Police, SAR, Hunting or Agility training if the setting is on low and you are wanting to give a correction to the dog without it "coming directly from you" or if the dog is down field.

Finally, if you are wanting to use an E-collar on a family pet, I would advise against this. E-collars should only be used by trained professional dog trainers because wrongful use could damage your dog. If you are having problems with a "pet" dog, I would advise you to use a prong or choke collar...again use these the correct way or you will not see the desired results.

#9 ·
I agree with K9SportSupply. These collars are perfect for sport purposes and they make special ones with switches that do not allow a long proceeding shock, or so I have read lol. I do not think its good to just use on an at home pet. If you are having problems like barking (trust me im there with ya) you gotta find a different way to handle it, like putting your dog on his/her back when she does it, showing that you do not allow or appreciate the behavior.

#10 ·
I had a problem with my dog at first with barking at everything that moved in the back yard Ha!!. I went and bought a bark collar but it wasnt a shock collar, it was a Anti Bark scentless bark collar. Every time she barked, the spray would come out and she hated it. About a week or two of the collar and she learned very fast not to bark. It worked great for me!!

#12 ·
You are correct... sorry boyfriend, but truly shock collars can absolutely RUIN a dog, and in a hurry, especially used by non-experts. Imagine having pain randomly applied to you. You never know when it is going to happen and you really don't understand what you are doing to cause the pain to occur. It would make you a nervous wreck, always worried its going to happen. I have seen what this does to dogs, even used by a "professional." I went to a trainer for a while and saw several dogs who had been "trained" carelessly by other "trainers" using shock collars. These dogs were pathetic, cringing, constantly nervous. In my estimation they had the dog equivalent of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Bottom line, don't let your boyfriend use a shock collar on your dog. Instead, I'd recommend you hang out here at the dog forum and learn some really fun and positive ways to train your dog. Training can be very enjoyable for both you and the dog and the learning is more long lasting as a result.

Are there some specific behavioral issues you would like to work on with pup? Maybe we can help?

#13 ·
Basically, it comes down to the fact that any tool can be used incorrectly and detrimentally in the wrong hands. These are not innately "evil" collars. They are tools and can help reinforce commands that are used in working situations. They can also be used to create a lasting aversion to life-threatening situations like chasing deer while hunting or investigating a deadly snake. (Those aversions are created by high level shock at precise timing; you can imagine then that using too high a level at the wrong moment can make a dog timid about something you hadn't meant to be associated.) Hence, they are collars that should be used with care and consideration, as well as knowledge on when/how to apply them.

E-collars have their uses as described in previous posts, such as sporting dogs. We use them on our hunting dogs, although we use a vibrate option more then the shock, both of which are highly adjustable, as well as "nick" option which is very brief. None of our dogs are cowardly or fearful when we put the collars on them, nor in general due to the use of them.

Most pet owners do not learn how to train with or use e-collars properly, and true they can create or worsen issues if not used correctly, with the right type of introduction, level, and timing. Like Tess described above, sometimes they are used too harshly, and yes, even professionals can misuse them.

I think it mostly depends on the experience and preferred techniques of the trainers who are using them, as the hunting dog kennels I've been to and watched work in the field had no dogs that showed any timidness or nervous behavior. All were excited to go work and were enthusiastic in the field, including one of my own, trained at one of these kennels.

If you're having issues at home, there's probably another way than getting an e-collar to handle it effectively, and I would suggest finding one :) Too many buy an e-collar and think they can just shock their dog when they see it doing something wrong, out of the blue and inconsistantly. Or they skip steps in teaching the command (which you generally show/teach without the e-collar).

#16 ·
Its ok, I saw my post and thought, wth? I don't remember that. It looks like som'thing I'd say....so I checked the date.

I mean, people can reply, no rules against it, but if they are asking stuff of the OP or others from 18 months ago. I don't forsee them getting an answer.

oh and yeah, I am old. Rub it in why doncha. :p

#19 ·
Hi Tess, Since this thread is old and the absent OP won't mind, I just wanted to say "hi." This is Champ's "mom." :) You've been busy busy since you first told me you joined this forum!! Hope Tess and Josey are doing well- I'm sure they are.

#20 ·
How wonderful to "see" you here! Yahoo! Welcome!!!
Yes, I've been busy making some new friends at this forum. Its a very nice place! Much kinder and gentler than our other forum, and the training philosophies are very positive. Lots of stuff here with marker training as you have done with Champ.

Now I know why you had such a knowledgeable essay on e-collars. I agree with you, that used well, they can be a good tool and used without expertise, can be a bad thing. I was concerned the OP's boyfriend was not necessarily one of the knowledgeable ones!

So that IS a Llew in your Avatar?! I sent you a PM a bit ago... but maybe you have not seen it yet?

I'm sooo glad to see you here! :)

#21 ·
Yes, that's my Sophie Girl in "her" chair, which we no longer have- left it in Corvallis for Champ's bud Moe. I think Soph misses the papason (sp?); she loved nesting and wrestling in it. And with her is Levi, who is 16 this year- I can't believe how old he's getting!

#22 ·
Heres an Idea, put it around his neck and see how he likes it >=(. I dont care if they work when used appropriatly. They are cruel. They make collars that spray air instead of shock which doesnt hurt the dog like shock collars do.

#24 ·
I hate the shock collars too, but sadly there are some dogs that ignore the air spray collars. It works at first, then the dog realizes its not hurting him at all and is more just an annoyance, and they go back to what they were doing before. In the hands of someone that knows how to use the collars properly and humanely, they're necessary tools for some dogs that ignore all other methods of training. Of course, those cases are sadly a very small amount of the number of times that they're used... Most times the shock collars are in the hands of completely clueless owners.

#23 ·
It's not worth the argument on this board, but we've tested the levels of our e-collars, on hands, legs, and yes, even necks, and the levels we use aren't painful. Whether or not they are "cruelly" used is going to depend on whose hands the transmitter is in, and if one is prone to abusing this tool, one is probably capable of abusing the dog with other tools, as well, even with something as simple as a leash.

--No offense anyone! I like your methods of training and am mainly here to learn more about them. I would like to use more positive based methods for field dog training.... I guess there's not much else I'm going to say on the subject of e-collars = useful vs evil :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.