Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a yorkie puppy for some time now, and there is a website i keep coming back to. I just think the yorkies on this website are SO beautiful! But they are located in TX and would have to ship the puppy to me in California. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with shipping a puppy? Like, what's the process? Where would the puppy be on the plane? Is it really safe?

Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
I fly pups all the time. The pups are at the back of the plane with all the cargo. Its a very safe process and the pups are always happy on the other end where their new owners pick them up. I use to be scared a long time ago, but honestly, its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shipping a pup

Poutine was born in Arkansas, unfortunately the local breeders all seem to think their pups are made of gold, so the going price locally is around $1,200 to $4,500…

Yeah I freaked too when I saw the $4,500 puppy, mainly because his face was not conform to Papillon standards.

Anyway our choice became evident, we had to buy out of state, and by out of state, the further south seemed to be the better choice in prices.
Poutine as an example was only $300 and an additional $287 for shipping.

Airlines will generally not ship under 8 weeks of age, so take this into consideration. The older the puppy gets, the higher the price will be also, Size and weight matters to these airlines.

I was also very worried, at 8 weeks a Papillon is very dainty, and I am sure the flight can be very scary to them, but he seemed none the worst once he arrived, maybe a little groggy, took him about 20 minutes to finally come out of his crate.

I think he was a little intimidated by us as new parents, not to mention he was mostly a kennel pup so although he has been with humans to play with him, he had never been in a house other then to take pictures I do not believe.

At first, (I got there an hour before the plane arrived) I asked a lot of questions, figuring he would come down the baggage ramp and have that god awful bump at the bottom that every other baggage I had seen come down seemed to have.

They don’t go the same route as baggage; they actually come down on a buggy in their crates and in my case, a very nice young lady asked to see my ID before I was even allowed near the crate to be sure he was ok.

Once I gave her my 2 forms of ID, she gave me a clipper to remove the tie wraps they had locking the crate, and watched as my new pup peered out at us like we where Martians.

Had I known it was so simple to receive a pup by the airlines, I would have arrived there just in time and saved my self a lot of worry. The young lady said although many are way ahead of time, some actually call the airline to say they will be there later because they “Work” that day… She then said in some instances, they actually love it, because they get paid to play with the pup and some are really nice to play with and take pictures of.

I would not hesitate buying an other pup and having him shipped by airlines. Mind you, now I know he will probably arrive on time or late, but never early ;) And I know if some thing happens that I can’t be there right on time, some one will be there with him to take care of him. (Who am I fooling; I would be there an hour early anyways)

I drove about 30 minutes to where My wife works to show her and some friends, then to the pet shop to get a collar, then home where I finally snapped this picture of him finally home… Notice his back paw in the dish they have right on the carrier and the word PRIORITY on the sticker on the crate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always imagined being sent via air mail to be a horrible experience for dogs, but it sounds like they go out of their way to make it as pleasant as possible. Thanks for sharing the details of your experience, French. That must have been some day for your puppy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have not had any experience of shipping puppies ..I was THINKING about it when I wanted my first chihuahua but decided against it as it would have been a very long flight and I thought how scary it would be for a little one all alone in a strange kennel experiencing unknown sensations when flying.
This is just me..... I am also one of those who would never crate my dog either . I knew someone who would crate her great dane every time she went out to work. if you want a dog why put him in prison every time you are out?
I am totally against it .....I realise I am over the top but this is the way i feel....When i go out at night which isnt often i leave night lights on for my dogs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love Yorkies !!

Be sure to feed Yorkie dry food (canned food can be added) to help keep their teeth clean and strong. They should get their teeth cleaned at the Vet to keep them from falling out and creating infection.

:p :rockon:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen photos of lots of pups on this website today. They are so cute and lucky to have such loving parents.
It is great to hear about the care airlines take of their live & precious cargo.
I have a story: When my daughter, in vet school, got a job it included flying dogs to NY for special radiological treatment of brain tumors. One of those times, as she was boarding, she saw that the dog's kennel was still on the tarmac. She stopped, one foot on, one off the plane and requested that he be loaded. The airline rep said he would be sent on the next flight. Our sweet, timid daughter stayed where she was, in and out of the plane, and pointed out the contract said she and the dog would be on the same flight and she wasn't about to move until the kennel was loaded. She won!

She is now a vet in Oregon, and, because of her, I am in the business of animal jewelry for the animal lover in all of us. Check out my website in the banner ad at the top of the page. www.dazzlinganimals. com We have corgis, yorkies, chihuahuas and more as well as other animals. Money back guarantee, we are so sure of your pleasure.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That is a great thing your daughter did! I would not have moved either. Thanks for the story!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.