Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since last night my 12 year old Shih Tzu has been sperodically barking in pain. At first the intervals were once an hour. Then it became more frequent. Was barking all night. He's had gas before. And always got over it. Sometimes it would just last a day. One time 3 days. Gave him one Gas-X Extra Strength tablet. Read it would be okay. But it's not helping him.

Might have to take him to the animal hospital since I don't think my vet will see him at a moment's notice. Could be wrong. Might give them a call.

What I'm wondering is could he have gotten this gas from eating cheap dog food like Purina's Benefil? The first bag was a little greasy (the food). This second bag a lot less so. He used to eat Wellness brand. But got bored of it. Or the flavor he was eating. Thought I could save some money by getting the Purina brand instead. As long as he ate. But maybe this was a bad idea.

On the other hand he has had gas while eating the Wellness brand so the food is probably not it. Maybe all the Greenie cookies and carrots I've been giving him. Been giving him more than usual. Not good I know. Maybe it's gas and indigestion.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
you might want to go to the vet, or call one as you were planning on doing. it sounds worrying if he seems in pain, poor guy! how is he now since you posted this thread? its only been about an hour but any difference?

~MSE

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I actually was wondering about possible bloat after posting my thread, but I wasn't sure. I hope the OP's dog is ok.

~MSE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hello people,

I'm happy to say he's MUCH better now. It's been maybe 6 hours. Though he's not 100% yet. But close to. Barked maybe twice in 6 hours. Very good.

I ended up calling many "animial hospitals" in Toronto. No luck. All were closed. Unreal!! Even the "emergency hospitals". Except one that wanted $144 CAD to "start" (consultation). INSANE!! Taking advantage of the fact that we dog owners are probably desperate if calling them.

Chose to drive to my dog's vet's office. Online it said they were to be open at noon. "Appointment Only". Decided to chance it any how. When I got there their sign said they are closed on Sunday. :( So while I was there I dropped by the Pet Smart (next door). Bought a bottle of "Gas Be Gone" (LOL! Stupid name but catchy...by Century brand). Tablet was big but my dog LOVED it and asked for another. Only gave him one. WORKED!!

Due to his gas (and maybe bloated feeling) he couldn't "stand on 3 legs" to pee. After the pill he has no troubles when I took him for a walk in the park. Kept me up all night. We both didn't get any sleep. The instructions on the small jar of tablets said "1x a day for 10> pound dogs". Might give him another just before he sleeps. Why wait if it works.

As for dog food..while it's easy to assume it's the brand I'm not so sure. As he has has gas while eating Wellenss brand too. I think it has always been my spoiling him with snacks. Giving in. So he'd take the opportunity to ask more. HEHE!! But I just might go buy a bag of Wellness again anyway. As it is supposed to be "better quality". I stopped because he got bored of it. Maybe I can slowly get him back on Wellness.

Take care all.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
well that's good that he is better!

i don't like how to just walk into the ER you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money as well

~MSE

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
glad hes feeling better, I hear you on the closed vet thing..I have to drive far during off hours/days

As it is supposed to be "better quality"
there is no supposed. Beneful is absolutely garbage.;) The two products are night and day. Like I said before, meat vs cardboard.

good luck with him, keep us posted.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps Chriosphnx is right. There is a reason why the Benefil can be sold for so much less. Costs 1/3 the cost of a bag of Wellness of roughly the same size. And the ingredients are supposed to be better. Trick is to get him to eat it again. Maybe I can start mixing in some Wellness with the Benefil and slowly get him to go back to Wellness totally.

ER costs...as I said...it's INSANE!! Pet expenses are already ridiculous. A typical dental check up for we humans in Toronto is around $65-75.00. Same for a medical check-up. And to charge $144 CAD for a quick glance?? It's a joke. Only we're not laughing.

Odd thing is he last time he got sick in Toronto I think it was a Sunday too. Off hours.

The "Gas Be Gone" pill took an hour to kick in the 2nd time. Gave him one just after 8 as he was barking again between 7-8. Obviously he still has some gas. But this pill does buy him some relief. A few more over time and he should be okay.

Hopefully he won't need to go to the vet. Don't mind spending $ on him if absolutely necessary but not if it's for just a quick 2 minute glance and a vet's anti-gas med prescription.

Will post again later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chriosphynx,

By "wet food" you mean the canned variety with the gravey?

Might work. But then that would cost me more money. :) Or perhaps I could just start him on the wet. Though, I went to dry because in the past (had a Pekingese) my first dog would get the gravey on her fur. Might try it though. Will pick up some dry and wet later this morning.

Managed to get some sleep this morning. Both of us. He didn't bark once. Not since last night at around 7-8. A good sign. Though, he's not 100% yet. Did see him do his "cat stretch" (always been a sign of gas and pain was to follow). He's napping now as I type. Snoring away. Good thing.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
yeah the canned food ;)

I have small dogs and one can lasts nearly a week...you put a spoonful in with the dry food and mix it really good...so its not a big cost increase :)

its the odor they dig. :) Som'times microwaving it for just a few seconds helps make the odor stronger too.

has he always been picky? Since hes old he could hav a bad tooth, my old pom became picky and it turned out it hurt for her to eat, so she was slowing down.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
ER costs...as I said...it's INSANE!! Pet expenses are already ridiculous. A typical dental check up for we humans in Toronto is around $65-75.00. Same for a medical check-up. And to charge $144 CAD for a quick glance?? It's a joke. Only we're not laughing.
Thanks for the update-though I just saw this thread I'm sorry I missed you!!! Glad your dog is feeling better. I agree it's a lot but that's just plain what E-vets charge. Generally that's the exam fee, like you'd pay at your vet and then plus for anything else they do. Often they are good to phone to see if it's an emergency, and they'll sometimes tell you how to keep your pet comfy (over the phone!) to make it through to see your regular and cheaper vet monday morning.

By "wet food" you mean the canned variety with the gravey?
On wet food-what I give instead as a treat (or in your case to entice) is real canned wet food for humans ;) -salmon or crab etc. It's "Human grade' so it's higher quality, it's sometimes a bit more expensive, but I think it's much healthier.

its the odor they dig. :) Som'times microwaving it for just a few seconds helps make the odor stronger too.
Crio is absolutely right-they smell much more then they taste. Here's what we did at the shelter to entice them to eat:

Add a little olive oil, bacon fat OR butter (not and!) and some water and microwave for about 40 seconds. Mix up and let cool to the touch (so tongues don't get burned) -you can add treats on it now, like a touch of milk if they tolerate it, or some salmon. It will totally REEK and they will love you for the stinky food :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Always been picky? Nah. It happens usually after he's had a few bags of a certain Wellness flavor. So I assume it's either boredom or Wellness changed an ingredient in the manufacturing process. Enough to change the flavor. A guess.

I mean could you blame them. Eating the same dinner day after day for months. :)

No sore teeth. He bits the "Gas Be Gone" tablet and his dry food.

And he LOVED the dry (lamb, green bag) with the wet (duck & carrot). He kept going back to his bowl to see what he might have missed. Probably hoping he had missed some.

As for the cost of buying both a $20.00 bag (6 pound size) and $2.99-3.19 (per can)...doesn't seem like that much more if you say a can lasts a week (with little dogs). But IMHO this is just "dog food". Mass produced in HUGE quantities. Then again this is how I see the pet biz in general. A total ripoff. Filled will over-priced items.

But of course he's worth it. He just turned 12 a few months ago. So if he loves it...why not. He's a loved part of my family.

Do you guys think it's worth buying a case of canned wet food? Or would they not last for a few months. Not sure if they would keep. Or should I just buy cans as needed?

He's much better today. No barking in pain. Can stand on 3 legs to pee. And is pestering me for snacks again. A lot. The problem is me. Need to work not to give in.

He would ask. I would say "No snacks!". He would bark. :) But eventually he would stop asking. Need to re-train him to stop asking so often. Heh!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts