Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! This is my first post. I am overwhelmed by how much information is on this amazing site. It's possible my question has already been answered somewhere on this message board, if so, simply directing me to the past discussion would be wonderful.

My wonderful, loyal, handsome Shih Tzu male of 10 years recently passed away. His name was Bazl, and he was my shadow. Always at my side.

Surviving him is his sister, Chloe. She's a snuggle bear and a licker. Also a trouble maker.

In a year or two, I'd like to get another male. However, rather than another Shih Tzu, I'm considering a Pug.

I love everything about Shih Tzus. However, for a couple reasons, I always keep their hair short. In the early years, we paid to have them cut, but over the past 7-8 years, I cut them myself.

But that's not the main reason I'm considering a Pug. Before I got my first two Shih Tzus, I was considering two Pugs.

So, has anyone here at DF owned both breeds? How would you compare them? My two Shih Tzus were different, so I understand all individuals are different.

Oddly enough, the two traits I valued most with my Shih Tzus were their companionship (though the male was more my shadow than the female is) and, at the same time, their independence. They could entertain themselves.

All feedback is welcome!

Cheers,

Soupie

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've never had a shizu but I have encountered many a wiggling pug. It seems they have more breathing issues than many, and I've never met a pug that WASN'T fat, so they may also have weight issues? But they were happy, friendly sausages at least, happy to go anywhere with anyone. I didn't get the feeling they were one person or velcro dogs, however, if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Im sorry for your loss, he was beautiful.

I think with these two breeds it´s going to come down to individuals and breeders since you are already familiar with the shih tzu grooming. Unless of course you really hate vaccuuming.

Dogs vary in temperament as individuals, you can say a breed is likely to be X and Y but in reality that will only hold true if the breeder is purposefully breeding selectively for those traits. Even then you will have variations within a litter.

If I were you I would try to get in touch with local reputable breeders, these breeds are popular so there are a lot of bad breeders out there. Get to see their dogs perhaps, a good breeder will be happy to discuss with you what you are looking for in a dog and whether their dogs will meet that criteria.

If you want to rescue i dont think it will matter whether its a pug or a shih tzu, just go with an individual who fits you.

Reactions: Soupie

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Hi!
I dog sit pugs and shih tzus all the time! I love both breeds but the owners of the pugs have paid thousands out in medical bills for skin, eye, and respiratory problems. They are not very active and can't go on an energetic walk without almost collapsing when they get home again. Their personalities I really enjoy, but for a more versatile dog that can "keep up" I totally prefer a shih tzu. Why don't you foster a pug and see how it goes before getting one yourself. It might be helpful to your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

The health issues for the Pug are the biggest concern. But also the limitations on activity. We like to go for daily walks and/or hikes. We also travel with our dogs to family's houses and to the beach, etc. Our Shih Tzus loved to travel w/ us and be fairly active. This means sometimes being in warm weather for limited amounts of time. (They loved long walks on the beach.)

It also sounds like Pugs are attention seekers. While our family?especially me?is home quite a bit, I really value the independence of the Shih Tzu.

I'd say at this point I'm leaning 60-40 toward another Shih Tzu.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pugs tend to be more 'velcro', they like being with their people.
They also tend to have health problems related to the shape of their skull, breathing trouble, heat intolerance, eye troubles.... they can also have skin problems and allergies.

IF you decide to go for a pug - get one that has been properly bred - out of standard - so that they have more of a nose (even an inch and a half of snout is an improvement to their breathing ability, and check for OPEN nares). Make sure the breeder health tests as you're more likely to avoid certain problems if the parents and grandparents don't have health troubles.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
My experience with pug energy level and temperament has been different from others here it seems...
They tend to be more medium to high energy, when in shape and healthy. My pug was my hiking and geocaching buddy. She was a therapy dog and dabbled in agility. My mom has had pugs since I was in high school. Allhave been quite active and playful. She has 5 atm. 2 are seniors and slowing down. The other 3 run around and play much of the day. And my sister's boy are hyper. They rarely ever stop!

And idk that I would call the pugs in my family velcro dogs. They certainly love their people, but they love strangers just as much. Lol.

The pugs and pug mixes I've had in classes and gotten to know at the shelter have been similar. those at good weights have been quite active. Super friendly. Fun dogs.

Of course there are health concerns found in the breed. If wanting a pug go with a reputable breeder who does all health tests (will get you a link later) and isn't breeding for extremes. Or a rescue who is in good shape. From what I've seen both breeds tend to have similar health concerns as both are brachycephalic.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
876 Posts
Oh yes that's true. Pug mixes! There's even a breeder in germany that seems to be breeding specifically for better health (I think they're called retromops???) that no longer look like the 'standard' pug but seem to have better health.

Still, getting a dog from germany is a bit of a hike, maybe a beagle-pug mix ..or some other mix? (a ****zu pug mix?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts