Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been working with my almost 1 year old for awhile now to be less energetic in the house and bark less. We take her to the park for about an hour a day, as well as trying to do one other "exciting" thing (a drive, a walk, hanging out with friends) each day. Until recently the time in between (unless she was in her crate) consisted mostly of demand barking to play with us, and only a couple hours rest/nap after coming home from the park.
Our policy was usually, only play if she asks by sitting quietly with the rope or toy in front of her, and not responding to her barking. Unfortunately we couldn't always jump up and play with her every time she wanted to play (you know, because of dishes and homework and that sort of thing), so she would revert to barking pretty quickly.
About a week ago we changed the routine to leaving the room (with her restrained but not in the crate) whenever she started barking, and only coming back when she'd been quiet long enough that it was clear she was done throwing a fit. Usually that means that she was curled up in her chair resting when we came back in.
On Saturday she had a busy long day at a festival with only a couple short breaks in the crate we have in the car to rest (don't worry, it was a rainy cold day, so the car wasn't going to overheat). Since then she has been sleeping or settled almost all the time. Much closer to what I would expect from an adult dog. A few minutes here and there of chewing or playing, plus a lot of exercise at the park each day, and otherwise lying on the couch.

To the question: Do you think this is because of our new system, her growing up a little, or is she ill? Or perhaps still recovering from her exciting Saturday? I brought her to the vet yesterday and he wasn't concerned. She's had other exciting long days before and not been tired for more than a day after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My puppy is three months old , he is doing well with learning things, but when other people are around he nibbles on them all the time and high pitch whines ,like he is hurt but he isn't , and advice to make him nice around people

1 - 3 of 3 Posts