Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

As Google couldn't provide me a reasonable answer to this question, I'm giving it a go here. We have a Shetland Sheepdog puppy. One of his ears are tilted, the other one is upright. He hasn't lost his babyteeth yet (I read the ears can act out a bit in this phase). I know some people manipulate the ears to be tilted for competitive purposes or simply aesthetics, but neither are of importance to us. I wonder what's best for the dog? Can upright ears be a benefit, for instance regarding humidity and fungee? Can tilted ears be a benefit, keeping rain and debris out?

English is my second language, but I hope you get what I'm aiming at even if the terms aren't necessarily correct.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi from a fellow Scandinavian! 😄
Do you mean that the ear is tilted as in “tipped” when just the pointy part of the ear folds forward? Or is it tilted like a labrador?

I don’t think your dog would benefit by manipulating the ears and the process can be painful and quite annoying for the dog. I’ve never heard of someone who have wanted to change their sheltland sheepdogs ears due to advantages for the dog. They do it because of aesthetics. It’s true that dogs with very long ears are more prone to ear diseases but since you got a shetland sheepdog I wouldn’t worry. Just keep them clean and dry :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello there! Yes, I meant just the pointy part 🙂 "Tipped" was probably the word I was looking for. Thank you so much for your advice, I'll leave the ears alone 😊

1 - 3 of 3 Posts