Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a 2nd dog at the weekend. Shes a 7 month old lurcher X. She is already big enough as in tall weighing about 18kgs. She has settled in really well with our current dog and is an absolute sweetheart, so affectionate and good natured. BUT as soon as we leave the house she is so destructive. Every time I think I have removed everything out of her reach, I come back and she has found something else to chew and destroy. She has and never will be left for any longer than 4 hours a day and she has the company of our other dog but so far any time we leave her, when we come back she has chewed up something else.

There are loads of toys around so its not like she hasn't got anything.

Please someone tell me this will end soon or eventually. I don't remember our current dog ever being this bad when he was a pup.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Could be a form of separation anxiety. Pax is a perfect angel in the house and I have zero concerns about him getting into anything, but if I leave him alone he turns into destruct-o-dog on things that he would not think about touching if I was home...then turned into chewing the back deck.

Thought it was bad behavior but for him it was separation anxiety manifesting itself...unfortunately that is much harder to treat than just being a brat.

You may need to crate train for the hours you are gone.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yeah, you need to crate her or confine her to a small space like a kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room that doesn't have many things she can destroy. Dogs won't chew what they're supposed to automatically because they don't know the difference. They're just going t go for the most interesting thing, which is typically not a dog toy! Invest in "fun" toys like kongs, busy bones or similar things. Those can help.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Thankfully I don't think its separation anxiety. I think its just boredom and having no sense of right and wrong. I caught her in the act twice yesterday evening of trying to steal the tea towel of the kitchen counter and taking the stuffing out of her bed and both times said 'No' and she was submissive and straight away knew what she had done was wrong and I then gave her a toy to chew instead. When I came down this morning there was no mess for the 1st night since we got her - please god she is a quick learner.

I have her confined to the kitchen when im not there and given her background before I adopted her id rather not have to crate train her unless it was my last resort.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would put my dog in his/her crate when I go out. But I would give them a durable dog toy (I prefer Kong Dog Toy to put in a paste, so they can keep busy).

I know it looks sad that your dog is in his crate, but dogs sleep the majority of the time.. So it doesn’t matter if he’s sleeping in his crate, or in the kitchen! Also, you will feel better, knowing that when you come home, nothing will be ruined! You'll be happy to see your dog (otherwise you would feel annoyed) and your dog will be happy to see you as well!!

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
547 Posts
In the past, when I had a teething chewing half grown puppy, I gave her a long sock that I no longer needed but that smelled like me (store it overnight in a shoe that you wear a lot so it really smells like you). First I tied a few knots in it, then I played "keep away" with her. That is a sure way to get a dog interested in something. After that, she almost always chewed on that when she was bored because she associated that object with good feelings.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So she has now destroyed her bed and my other dogs bed, chewed and ruined 2 cookery books, ate the corner off the sofa, had numerous 'accidents' - (3 wees and 2 poos to be exact) and chewed up a large box of matches - which I caught her doing so I got to say 'no' before she ate them completely.
I have noticed that she is full of mischief even when we are in the house but its easy to reprimand her and she listens well but obviously when were not there, there is nobody to tell her 'no' - when is she going to learn. This is torture and is raising my anxiety levels. I would love to be able to come home and not find something chewed up and destroyed :*(

·
Registered
256 Posts
So she has now destroyed her bed and my other dogs bed, chewed and ruined 2 cookery books, ate the corner off the sofa, had numerous 'accidents' - (3 wees and 2 poos to be exact) and chewed up a large box of matches - which I caught her doing so I got to say 'no' before she ate them completely.
I have noticed that she is full of mischief even when we are in the house but its easy to reprimand her and she listens well but obviously when were not there, there is nobody to tell her 'no' - when is she going to learn. This is torture and is raising my anxiety levels. I would love to be able to come home and not find something chewed up and destroyed :*(
You should really think about introducing a crate, it makes the housetraining and the destroying behavior management so much easier!
Obviously I don't know her history, but if (re-) introduced correctly, so she knows it's a good place for her, even a bad history with crates can be wiped out. With 7 months she is still very young and very deceptive to new/overriding old experiences. Don't feel bad for her! Just think what can happen if she it's something poisonous for her! She could get very sick, even life threatening and I'd guess you want to avoid that at all costs (even with a positive reintroduction of a crate).

Also, it just made me wonder, you have a sofa in the kitchen? Or did she get out of the kitchen somehow?

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jagger, she is brought out for a 20 minute run around in the mornings off leash. She will be alone with my other dog for 4 hours then until my housemate gets up (she works nights) and will be let out to play in the garden and then I bring them both out again in the evening for 45mins - I will increase this walk as she gets older. I am starting an obedience class with her tomorrow so that will tire her out also.

Brittas, yes we have a couch in the kitchen - not my choice. We got a new suite for the sitting room and my partner insisted on putting the couch in the kitchen for the dogs to sleep on. I hate it but it can stay for now.
I really don't want to crate her. There is nothing really dangerous she can get into in the kitchen, she cant open presses etc. its just frustrating that she feels the need to chew up stuff.
I left them both with kongs this morning full of frozen foods and peanut butter and my house mate has just text me to say that she has completely destroyed her bed (after I sowed it back together yesterday) there is officially no stuffing left in it. She just has absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Maybe we were just spoiled because our other dog was so good when he was a pup - he did destroy a few things but he grew out of it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maybe take the dog beds out of the kitchen and just provide blankets? My dog chewed her dog bed in the beginning in her crate, so she got blankets and didn't chew them, in addition to dog toys and her stuffed Kong.
But I doubt that it will help with your pup.
We have a camera set up for Bri, so we can see what she is doing. This camera has a speaker from which I could talk to her if I wanted to (through an app on my phone), maybe you could give that a try? Leaving the house and then supervising her and verbally intervening when you see her chew?

Maybe she just needs some time to adjust, as stupid and easy as it sounds. Since you had her now only about 1 1/2 weeks, correct?
I keep my fingers crossed that the obedience classes will help!

Reactions: Tuxi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Breakthrough. My house mate just text to say that, for the first time since we got her, there is no mess or anything chewed up.
I gave them both frozen stuffed kongs this morning and im hoping that has distracted her from the boredom. I put mashed carrots, peas and a drop of honey in them.
Yey I feel so elated. I really hope this is a breakthrough!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts