Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. It's been a month since my sheltie became sick and am hoping someone out there might have gone through this experience and found a solution. Here is a brief timeline.

Nov. 24 - signs of a cough

Nov. 25 - thought something stuck in throat. Seems to be more of a cough. Took to vet. Vet prescribed cough med and antibiotics. States she has bronchitis. Dog does not go to doggie daycares, PetSmarts, interacts with other outside of family dogs, etc.

Nov. 28 - last time she ate on her own. After this day she is syringe fed baby food and pedialyte (sp?)

Nov. 29 - back to vet not sure she's getting better. Vet xrays and pulls blood. States she has pneumonia. Fluid in lungs. Now prescribes a lactix(sp?) and continues antibiotics and cough med.

Dec. 3 - cough goes away around this time frame. So cough med discontinued.

Dec. 10 - completes antibiotics and layctix.

Dec. 13 - start lactix back up she sounds gurgaly.

Dec. 15 - she takes a nose dive quick to emergency vet. Diagnosis severe dehydration. Kidneys of concern. Stays at vet office - gets fluids, etc.

Dec. 18 - she comes home all blood work good and kidneys stable and back at normal levels. Only prescription is an appetite stimulant.

Dec. 19 - eats a little deli meat by hand and once by herself. Drinks a lot.

Dec. 20 - One nibble of deli meat and sporadic there after. Does drink. However drinking is a nose dive into dish and bites at the water versus lapping. Feels like she lost depth perception and forgot how to use her tongue to lap the water. When she can't take it anymore she sneezes and sneezes and repeats if desired. Syringe feeding continues has never stopped.

Dec. 23 - back to emergency vet to check her blood work. Not good news. Kidney levels have returned to a poor level. They've essentially diagnosed her with phase one kidney disease failure. Sent home with fluids, Pepcid, Tumil K, kidney diet, and Cerenia.

Dec. 27 - follow up with everyday vet. Checked blood. Kidneys are great and at a good level. Feels that she is not in a kidney failure mode at all and that there is something else that is wrong. NOTE this is not the same vet a different vet as I do not trust the original vet from Nov. Finds trend with anemic levels. Her white blood cell count is high. Looks like her immune system is fighting itself. He recommended a cortizone shot to stimulate appetite and thirst. He said to take her off of all those other kidney disease prescribed items. But that I could still continue the fluids like every other day if I want to. But doc does seem a little stumped. Prescribed a pill based cortizone.

Dec. 28 - so far no increase in appetite to eat on own and water in take doesn't seem to be there. This morning she was barking at my husband but we don't know what she wants.

This is where I'm at. I don't know how to help my dog anymore. I just want her to eat on her own and drink. It seems to be the key! She is up and about and moving around. She is weak. She does wag her tail when I feed her. She'll wag her tail when you talk to her but she's just not the same. Feeling really bad.

If any of you have experienced this please share and let me know what was done to get your dog back to a normal happy healthy life.

Thank you.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Her heart is normal?
Was an abdominal ultrasound performed?
Urine culture?
Could she have gotten into anything?
Any travel history?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heart has been normal.

No ultra sound.

Yes her urine had been tested along with fecal throughout the vet trips.

She doesn't really go anywhere. Just the normal places nothing out of the ordinary. Standard trip to my husband's grandma's every Sunday. Sometimes to my mom's. But that's about it. We thought that maybe she might have picked up a dropped pill at grandma's and have provided the medication list to the vet today as we try to rack our brain.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not one of the experts here, but I read through your original post and cannot find where you state how old she is... I worry that she's elderly and wonder if she's getting around okay, and generally her quality of life.

Though if she's young, I'm with you on this on figuring out what's going on, definitely, and you have my sincerest concern for getting the right care ASAP.

I absolutely understand and feel your dismay, as my own youngest girl has been dealing with a stubborn infection since early November; the difference being that your girl is feeling much more poorly than mine.

I pray that your vet can get this nailed down soon and find relief for you and yours.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Well, for a dog who hasn't eaten on her own for 1 month, I think an abdominal ultrasound is absolutely warranted.

It also seems past due for a referral to the vet school there to see what's going on with her. Without seeing actual test results, I can't even try to give guesses as to what it could be.

With waxing and waning kidney issues, could be a kidney infection- maybe the correct antibiotic hasn't been used...? Shouldn't be lepto because she'd be sicker. Tested for Lyme and other tick borne diseases?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
What is the list of possible medications, supplements, herbal things etc she could have gotten into? Any chance of ibuprofen?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The possible meds that she could have been exposed to at my husbands grandmothers house are...

Pravastatin
Amlodipine benaz
Levothyroxine
Aspirin

Rest are vitamins
Oscal
E
C
Daily vitamin

These were given to the vet today.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Well, for a dog who hasn't eaten on her own for 1 month, I think an abdominal ultrasound is absolutely warranted.

It also seems past due for a referral to the vet school there to see what's going on with her. Without seeing actual test results, I can't even try to give guesses as to what it could be.

With waxing and waning kidney issues, could be a kidney infection- maybe the correct antibiotic hasn't been used...? Shouldn't be lepto because she'd be sicker. Tested for Lyme and other tick borne diseases?
Posted via Mobile Device

I stand by this. I don't see anything on that list that would have these lasting effects.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
191 Posts
What state do you live in? Any access to the outdoors? What food was she on before this started?

Leptospirosis can cause kidney and/or liver problems. Kidney problems can also cause anemia. Lepto is due to urine contamination of food, or something outside she got into. It is killed by freezing weather though. Now if your dog food company has a rat problem, then your dog could still get it from food.

What treats has she gotten before this started? Lots of treats can cause kidney failure.

I would ask the vet for copies of all kidney function tests. It does sound a lot like kidney disease.

I just lost my dog to acute kidney failure. He stopped eating and had to be put down, as he had catastrophic damage. He would have just turned 7 in a few weeks.

With the reports of kidney disease being caused by chicken jerky treats, it makes me scared that the problem is more widespread, and that perhaps more dog food companies are involved.

I would read as much as you can on kidney disease. Kidney disease often causes ulcers of the GI tract which make it painful to eat. Although it does sound like an infection... Keep looking. You may need to go to a 3rd vet for another opinion.

The chicken jerky poisonings cause acquired fanconi syndrome.

Goodluck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts