Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I live a high rise apartment in busy part of downtown. About a month ago, we adopted a super sweet dog but are stressing out quite a bit (because we are worried about her). The shelter thinks she's a Catahula hound, somewhere around 3-4 years old, 45 lbs.

At home, she's totally relaxed. She plays with us, snuggles with us on the couch, rarely barks, doesn't chew or destroy any of our stuff, rarely has accidents. Basically she's the perfect dog.

We have a routine of taking her out for walks or to go to the bathroom 4 times a day. For the first three weeks, she was sometimes hesitant on the street, but overall did very well. But within the last week she's developed a total fear/aversion for the outside world.

Initially, she dropped to the ground in the lobby of our building, tail between her legs, but could be coaxed (think: treats, peanut butter, encouragement) to continue outside. Then it was dropping as the elevator doors opened to the lobby, but again could be coaxed. Now she drops in the elevator and won't move a muscle once the elevator doors open to the lobby and I have to carry her outside. This sequence only happens when my wife or I try to take her out individually. When we are together, we can her to make it outside without her dropping. This may be related to the fact that the two of us took her to a big open park the last two days which she clearly enjoyed.

We both love our dog so much and just feel HORRIBLE that we have to expose her to a fearful (I think?) situation multiple times a day just so she can go to the bathroom. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Am I making things worse by carrying her across the lobby? Is it enabling her dropping-behavior somehow?

Is taking her outside so often and exposing her to the loud street making things worse?

Is there anything we can do to help her?

Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.