Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of those Furminator brushes? I went to their website and the demos look very convincing, but $35.00 for a brush seems awful high. If it works it would be worth it but if not, what a waste of money. Any first hand experience out there?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fantastic tool - I love it and in fact have a few of them. Bought the real thing (Furminator) from the States when the exchange rate was better for us. Got the really large one and also a smaller one for the cat. Not really necessary to get a smaller one but it is a bit easier to get into the nooks and crannies on the GSD eg. behind ears and is good on the cat.

Recently I bought a rip off one which Laube make, much cheaper. It has interchangable heads too. So you can have the furmintor type blade or swap for a comb etc.. Then if you wreck the blade you can just buy another one to fit onto the handle.

They say to only use it on clean dry fur. Not sure if this because it damages the blade or the fur. It can cut coat if you use it heavy handed, so just be careful. I love it on double coated breeds, it takes the undercoat out in handfuls but leaves a lovely finished, shiny topcoat. Good on the cat too, I was amazed at how much fur came out of her (no wonder cats get furballs!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.:) I didn't want to order one w/o a real live person saying it works. Those sites always make everyting look good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought I had been done when it turned up cause it has such small teeth. I'm looking at it thinking "awhhh this isn't gunna work", but it does and it's great. You'll love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree! I have 2 ( a small one and a large one) I love both of them. I got a generic comb from Wal-mart and compared the amount of hair it got off (i would brush Chief until the comb didn't get any more hair) and then I did the furminator, what a difference!!

I brought one to my parents' house and did their dogs, they were amazed!

It's definitely something I'm going to keep using.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone tried one of those Furminator brushes? I went to their website and the demos look very convincing, but $35.00 for a brush seems awful high. If it works it would be worth it but if not, what a waste of money. Any first hand experience out there?
oooh oooh oooh I have!!!

IMO they work great! We've used it on the store kitty that lives at the pet store that I work at and I've never seen that much fur before....and the cat still had ALOT more.

They are fairly expensive, but well worth it. There are off brands that work almost as good, but not quiet.

I'd also like to point out all Furminators are 100% money back...so if you aren't happy with it, just return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you dont have to order one..i got mine at walmart!!...i didn't want to order it cuz i was suspicious..they'll charge you a lot more than i spent..just 10 bucks!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dumb Question?

This may be a dumb question, but... can/should I use a furminator in the winter? My dog sheds and I would like to control that, but removing the undercoat seems like it would make the dog cold in the winter. We live in Minnesota, so winter temperatures are going to run between -10F and +35F until mid-April or so.

Thanks in advance!
-Mike-

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd do, but I'm in Tennessee! I guess it would depend on the breed and if he's and indoor dog or and outdoor dog.
My Aussies and the BC..no worries, their long coated and hot anyway so even in the 13 degree weather they are happy to get rid of the extra fuzz. My little Chi mixes and the corgi mix...ummm..not so much!! They get cold so I only furminate them a little bit around the edges to keep shedding controlled a smidge. Oh mine are indoor dogs.
Well, hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd do, but I'm in Tennessee! I guess it would depend on the breed and if he's and indoor dog or and outdoor dog.
My Aussies and the BC..no worries, their long coated and hot anyway so even in the 13 degree weather they are happy to get rid of the extra fuzz. My little Chi mixes and the corgi mix...ummm..not so much!! They get cold so I only furminate them a little bit around the edges to keep shedding controlled a smidge. Oh mine are indoor dogs.
Well, hope this helps you out!
He's a 20 month old Labradoodle and he is an inside dog, except for his walks and play time. I have a coat for him too.

Thanks for your help!!
-Mike-

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife and I have a knockoff brand that we found that was quite a bit less expensive..the fur buster I believe it is called.

We use this on an aussie shepherd/sheltie cross and we will never go back.

HIs shedding has decreased alot since we started using this, it really gets the hair out.

Adrian

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am glad I came across this thread because I was wondering if it was worth the money myself. I have been looking at them on Ebay. You can get them with free shipping for 24 buck for the small one. I will defantly be getting one as it won't be long before I will need on for my pups. The mommy (Puppy) needs it now though. Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Ok, so I got a used medium sized one off ebay for $10.00 w/free shipping. I am happy with it. It doesn't get rid of as much hair as I had hoped, but it is much better than everything else I have tried. I have recommended it to everyone I know that has a dog. I guess I was looking for a miracle brush that doesn't exist, but this is the next best thing. With this brush and diligent sweeping things are pretty much under control.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i have the fur buster, it is like magic! seriously, my roommate is allergic to cats and dogs and so we have to be careful. what a difference! my dog's coat is similar to a gsd but shorter, i can comb off buckets of hair from him and the cats too!
for those who have asked, the package says no wet hair and i tried it once on damp hair, it just didn't work. the package also warned about using it on single coated dogs, you aren't supposed too. i think its purpose is to remove the shed undercoat. i've also read that the wire coated dogs need special grooming so as not to damage their coat.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Yeah...I have a furminator and it works funky if the coat is really wet.

also it will not work on my pomeranian. AT ALL. It just rips her hair out...it will not slide no matter how gentle Iam...which was iritating because I got it to use on her~!

Works great on my cats and short hair dogs tho.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yeah...I have a furminator and it works funky if the coat is really wet.

also it will not work on my pomeranian. AT ALL. It just rips her hair out...it will not slide no matter how gentle Iam...which was iritating because I got it to use on her~!

Works great on my cats and short hair dogs tho.
I used to groom...wet hair is horrible to brush unless it is a super short hair dog like a chihuahua LOL

Very long coat dogs suck to brush as well! I find the furminator to work wonders on Harvick's coat, he gets the undercoat which comes out in chunks twice a year so it works amazing at ridding of that shedding.

For EVERYBODY: I think undercoats are what this brush is meant for. Otherwise for short/medium hair use the zoom groom, for long hair a comb is your best bet, easier on the dog too.

·
Registered
618 Posts

OMG I'm SOglad to see this! I tried it on my Sheltie/Pomeranian mix and it's awful! Feels like it just rips his hair out but the roots. About 3 swipes and he growls at me. Can't blame him!

On my short haired cats however, it works just fine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are great and the dogs love it.I have 3 dogs(rottie,dobbie/shepherd mix and a little lab/terrier mix that live in the house except when they want to play then they go run around our fenced in property and when we bring the brush out they come running.The pet store is a little high priced for the furminator,I buy mine for less than $20.00 shipped right to my house.You might want to shop around or i can get them for you cheap.you just have to check and see if it will work on your dog because they say you should not use it on some dogs because of their hair.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Kelsey is a Lab/Chow mix and her fur is THICK. Last year at her annual vet visit were talking about how difficult it is with all the fur and we have to vac all the time. The assistant brought in the furminator and was trying to sell it to us. Of course we were both thinking NO WAY. But she opened it and started brushing Kelsey and sure enough that thing was awesome!! There was fur ALL OVER the room. We bought it right then and have used it ever since. We paid $40 or $50 for it but it is well worth it. She sheds alot so we take her outside and furminator her. One good thing is the fur doesn't stay in the brush so you don't have to keep stopping to clean it out. When we are done she likes a new dog. She looks cleaner and her coat just SHINES. We have told everyone we know with a dog about the furminator.

We even took it outside and showed it to our neighbor on her dog and she went right out and bought one at PetSmart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.