Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that might be able to help my JRT stop shedding so bad.

I have tried changing his diet, adding more oils, more protiens. Nothing seems to work.

I even bought a $100 brush for him and bathe him regularily.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have you tried the Furminator? I have one and I and my dogs love it! Aiden is my shedder. He is a hyper and can be nervous little dog. Stress plays a huge roll is shedding. I have a friend who swears buy the Comfort Zone plug ins. She has cats so she uses the Feliway ones.
You also might be bathing him too much. His skin might be to dry. I'd try backing off his bathing if you can. Brush him twice a day or a real good once a day to get the oils in his coat to come out.
As far a diet goes, barring feeding him the super low end foods, any good quility food can help with his coat. I myself like Natural Balance.
Also, weather has a huge roll to play. I've noticed for my dogs in the area that we live in, my two heavy shedding seasons are spring and fall. Summer is not to bad but winter they just kinda keep going. IMO, it's because I heat the house. To the dogs, it's like summer, then in the summer, because I keep the house cool, to them it's like winter. It reminds me of house plants. Their summer in our winter and visa versa.
Im not sure if this helps, but he may just be a dog that shows emotional upset by shedding. While he may stay even in attitude and manner, dealing with the stress of certain situtations -instead if an outlet like barking, jumping, being destructive and things like that- is comming out in shedding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The brush that I got is pretty much the same as a furminator. Some people say it's better, some say it's the same, some say it doesn't work as good.

I didn't know that stress could cause shedding. It could be that he sheds so much because he is such a ball of energy and really gets himself worked up about almost everything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have to sweep every day to get the fur balls that float around the house, and we take a brush, and go over the carpet b/c you can see the fur, and it clogs my vacuum. The she4dding is horrible between my aussie x and my pom. What is the furminator? and how does it work? never heard of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The furminator is a great brush that really gets at the undercoat to help reduce the shedding.

My wife and I have a furminator type brush and it is a God send. It gets most of the hair out. There will always be some shedding but it helps reduce it drastically, way more than a straight brush does.

Give it a try

good luck
Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts