Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the attached picture. My dog is a ~90lb German Shepherd mix, and I think he's mixed with Golden Retriever.

His shedding makes it unpleasant for others to ride in my car. I also have an SUV with light interior that should work well, but I'm going to move to Florida and I don't want to take that vehicle with me... It's not even comfortable; I hate the thing.

Vacuuming every time he goes for a ride is not a reasonable option; I don't have that much time to spare. The last time I cleaned my car, it took an hour and a half.

I could keep this SUV, even though I don't want to. Or I might get a Durango and a trunk liner, which would make it easy to clean.

What else can I do? Would light-colored seat covers and occasionally using a duster on the dash keep my Challenger (car in pic) from looking like a trash bin? Is this a good option? What other options do I have?

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
My mother uses a small throw-rug (heavy woven fabric approx 2x3' - I think it came from Walmart for $10) that she throws over the seat before carrying the dog. It only covers the bottom half of the seat, but that seems to be where most of the fur ends up anyway, and it generally does a fairly good job of staying put. It's also easier to put on and remove than a seat cover, so it gets more use than those ever did in our cars.

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also, you dog can fall into the footwell when you brake. So I'd recommend something like a doggie hammock. This prevents fur build up and protects your dog from falling into the footwell at the same time. Kurgo's hammock works very well:

I'm just a satisfied customer. I don't work for Kurgo. The backing of my hammock started to peel, and they sent me a brand new hammock even though it was out of warranty!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts