Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I desperately need your help. I recently asked my groomer to shave off the hair of my shih-tzu mix's butt. That night he was quite irritated and would walk then sit. We consulted a vet who said it's just itching and gave us oral anti itch medication for 2 days which did not work. Now he won't eat, has a red butt (see attached), keeps licking the area and won't stop whimpering. How can I solve this? Will ice help his discomfort? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
As much as I don't like using them, the plastic cone collars should prevent the dog from licking the area. Surprised the vet didn't recommend it. Meds could flare it up - try some coconut oil instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did put a plastic cone on his head; unfortunately, the cone was practically useless as he found a way to loosen it and slide it down his neck to reach his butt (What a sneaky pooch). I'm looking for a cone with snaps, but the three stores I went to all had velcro, the same one we have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As much as I don't like using them, the plastic cone collars should prevent the dog from licking the area. Surprised the vet didn't recommend it. Meds could flare it up - try some coconut oil instead.
We did get a cone, but he figured out a way to loosen it and slide it down so he could reach his butt (sneaky pooch). I'll try the coconut oil as soon as I can purchase some tomorrow

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
We did get a cone, but he figured out a way to loosen it and slide it down so he could reach his butt (sneaky pooch). I'll try the coconut oil as soon as I can purchase some tomorrow
Maybe tape it on so he can't loosen it. I hate using them personally but it's best for the dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts