Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really sweet & sassy chihuahua jack russell mix dog and she is a very well loved dog. I recently moved next door to my parents house where my brother and his wife+kid live. We are close and we allow each other to walk in and out of each other places...

Over some months, my dog now starts spending some time in my parents house and sometimes they will come and just bring her over for a couple hours at a time (without asking), which I didn’t really mind at first. But now my niece and her mom are getting super attached to my dog and will try to take her out for walks... I feel bad but I’m not really a fan of it bc I want to spend time with her and take her out for walks. My 7 year old niece talks about wanting to keep my dog and doing all these things with her... I know she’s only a little kid but it makes me a bit nervous. We invite our niece out a lot for walks with our dog, but recently she’s been trying to take our dog out with just her parents... I think it’s her way of having family time with her parents, so I feel bad about that.... I also just want my dog to be my dog?

Any thoughts on this? Am I just being a selfish adult denying my niece of her love of spending time with my dog?

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
Does it help you out to have them do this, for example providing your dog with walks and company while you are at work?

What about setting a rota? That would give you more control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts