Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a pomeranian for many years now, I got her when she was three years old and now she is pressing on 12.

Well since she's getting on in years I wanted to get a puppy to have so it won't be so hard on me once she passes away.

My sister in law's mother has a full blooded shar pei. Her son that lives with her has a dog that is a rottweiler/lab mix. Well....an accident occurred and pups were produced. I accepted one NOT EVEN THINKING of the temperament of the breed of Shar Pei. All rottweilers I had ever met have been very sweet, gentle, obedient dogs. Labs I've met were all rude and jumped and I wanted to just smack them but that was all the owners fault. Anyway....I had/have no idea how a shar pei acts.

Well apparently they're f'n MEAN!!!! I have never had a puppy so small be so down right evil.

He's about 7 or 8 weeks old and he's devilishly smart. I've had him only a week and he knows his name, the word no, drop it, don't bite, and he did know how to shake but now he's being a brat and just wants to bite me instead.

That's not the problem. Him chewing huge holes in my rug is not a problem. The puppy accidents on the floor is not a problem.

The problem is his aggression. You can't pet him without him SNARLING at you and biting. Hard. This is not play biting like all teething pups do before they're taught it's bad. This dog has ill intent behind his biting. I say no really mean/stern. I don't yell it I just make it sound mean, and he'll just keep getting more angry until eventually I have to tap him on the side of the muzzle and then say no again sternly. After this he will let me pet him-for a matter of a few seconds before he starts acting evil.

He HAS to get used to me looking at his teeth, and in his ears, and his feet, and belly etc. This dog goes freaking berserk when I touch him. I have to force him to do it but instead of other dogs and just giving up and getting the idea I'm not hurting him he just wants to rip my face off.

I would like to keep him but this attitude problem is really starting to get on my nerves. I own cats, and a pomeranian, and I have two VERY YOUNG nephews that tend to climb and rough house with all dogs. He can NOT be a mean dog. I will not tolerate a mean dog. If he can't be broken of it he'll have to be put down. However that will be some time in the future since he's just a pup yet.

He also shows...I don't know how to word it. Fighting tendencies. With other animals. Oh he does play with the cats innocently, but he doesn't like my pomeranian. He snarls at her and bites her already. She'll growl at him like a mother dog would if he is too close or doing something desctructive. But she does not bite.

When I have them outside he STALKS her. I've never in my life see a puppy so young do this. It's not play. He'll lower his head and the hair on the back of his neck and back furls up, his tail lowers straight (he has a curly shar pei tail) he snarls, and slowly just stalks up to her. She looks at him like wtf!?

When I see him go in to this I'll stomp my foot beside him to get his attention to change and then he hops around and plays in the grass etc normal puppy behaviour.

But someone can you please help me? Give me advice. Is this normal for a shar pei mix to be so damn evil? Do I have to train him entirely different than a smarter, calmer, less aggressive type dog? And if I do, what do I have to do specifically? ALL HELP IS WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, i have a shar pei 4 months old.I found you carnt pussy foot around and need to show him your the leader of his pack. when ever my dog was aggresive (shes not any more) i put her down on the floor on her side and held her head down to the ground , telling her off sternly, i didnt hurt her, but held her so she couldnt move,also good idea to let other dog sniff him etc when in this submissive position, do this every time he is to aggesive, when you let him up , he should be sorry and maybe lick you ,hopefully it might help,also my dog also stalks ,but she is playing,good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a fluff ball...he it too cute!
I grew up with both Rotties and Shar Peis (4 or 5 growing up) and my dad has one now. It really depends on the dog as far as temperment. The SP my dad now has is the sweetest dog, but all the others were very aloof and wanted to do their own thing. However, never ever were any of them aggressive.
Does he like to be around you as opposed to by himself? If the advise above does not work (I have had success with a few of mine gently forcing submission like a pack would do) you can always try putting the pup in a room by himself whenever he acts aggressive. Being alone or away from his 'pack' is usually the worst punishment for a puppy and he will quickly catch on that when he doesn't knaw your hand off he gets to hang with you!
Good luck:dog-tease:

·
Registered
20 Posts
keep in mind that if he's so aggressive as a pup, if your worried and already thinking he may need to be put down, it might be best to place him in a home that can deal with a dog like him while he's still so young and trainable. It's much more difficult, if not impossible, to place an aggressive large adult dog. Someone who's worked with dogs like him before may be able to get him in line while he's young, and you may be happier with a more subdued dog who doesn't have such severe aggression issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts