Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my shar pei mix is about a year old and we've recently noticed that he started shaking his head and scratching his ears a lot. Took him to the vet and he apparently has extreme yeast overgrowth. The vet prescribed nystatine and that's been his evening therapy for about a month now. I have a few photos of his ears and I'm not sure if it's getting worse because the discharge is now very apparent. We've changed his diet so I'm just waiting to see what happens. Any tips?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you feed a food with grains? If it’s a yeast infection it’s most likely coming from the food from my experience. Try switching her to a grain free diet if not already. It usually takes 2 weeks to 2 months to notice a difference with food. But if you don’t see any differences within a month it’s probably not the grains in the food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First thing go to a different vet. That was the first mistake I did for my doggos ears. We went to a vet who just stunk. So look at reviews and try a new vet. I think this might be ear mites. The gunk looks really black. And my doggo has had multiple yeast and bacteria ear infections so I have seen and smelled first hand both. Now there are a few reasons doggos get ear infections. First and kinda most obvious is accidentally getting water in their ear, second the breed some breeds are prone to chronic ear issues, third allergies both pollen allergies and food allergies. I would recommend putting your puppers on an allergy med and see if they are less itchy. Also change their diet. Alot of dogs are allergic to chicken. Try first switching the main protein in you dogs food. I would recommend switching to lamb, fish, and or beef. And definitely avoid treats and food with yeast. That means no nibbles of pizza crust. After a while I was able to figure out what my puppers was allergic to. One day I would give her a bite of egg and then she would be itching all day. So if you notice more itching when giving your dog certain foods definitely avoid those. I do think it is weird your vet only gave you one thing and didn't tell you to clean your puppers ears. The usual way to get rid of a dog ear infection is to clean the ear then put drops in the ear. What I would recommend is getting an alcohol free ear cleaner that is good. Look at reviews! And get something called zymox. Zymox treats yeast and bacterial ear infections and has a pain reliever and alot of people who have dogs with ear issues use this stuff. I would like yo give it a try but right now I have ear drops from my vet.(a different vet that is good) First clean you puppers ear with a good alcohol free ear cleaner. The reason I say alcohol free is because if you put an ear cleaner with alcohol in your puppers ear right now with all the scratches it would burn so bad. So stick right now to an alcohol free ear cleaner. Make sure when you clean his ears you get all the gunk out this means cleaning both ear multiple times and cleaning the tip of the ear cleaner bottle with alchohol so you don't cross bacteria. Next put in the Zymox. It isn't recommended during treatment with zymox to clean the ear but your puppers needs an ear cleaner before you start. And then use zymox for how ever long the instructions say. I think it is seven days but I could be wrong. And definitely follow up with a different and good vet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts