Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not too sure if I am posting in the right area as I'm new to this. I'm currently sitting in the vet hospital for the second day in a row. My dog is an older dog (I'm guessing he is between 8 to 10 years old) & I got him from a roommate about 4 years ago. This dog is such a good dog & a very food motivated dog at that. That being said, my wife had noticed that he had his tail between his legs two nights ago. I didn't think much of it until he woke me up twice that night to go out & would not leave my side. He had a lot of diaherra the first time, but the second he had a minuscule amount. My first instinct was a blockage. So I took work off the next day and went to the Vet Hospital. They did tests such as; xrays, ultrasound, blood test, & a physical exam. Nothing. They said he just has the "bug" & sent him back home with me. Which I don't understand how a "bug" would cause him to tremor,be lathargic, yuck his rear end downwords (visibly) & not eat or drink anything. (There's a few I would understand, but not the weakness and walking like he is drunk) Anyways I'm now in here again, after calling two other places, because my wife noticed his legs were a different color and he can now hardly walk. He couldn't get out of my car (which is a honda accord so it's not high up) so they had to come get him with a stretcher. I asked if they tested him for Shar-Pei fever (23% of all Shar Pei's get it) & for other things. They couldn't answer. First of all, am I justified being mad that only the vet assistant saw him yesterday and not the actual doctor? Secondly, has anyone else experienced this with their dog? They can't seem to figure it out and I'm starting to think it's not a good place to bring my best friend. Please help with your thoughts? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Firstly, I hope all goes well with your pup.

Viruses even things like the common kennel cough can cause all of those symptoms. It's rare but it happens.

You are in the right place for your dog, if you are concerned about anything regarding the care, ask someone to clarify why he's getting treatment he is. If you are polite it's not an unreasonable set of questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts