Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Tynan is part lab and has the classic extra oily/waterproof coat. The vet said that he's healthy and that his oily coat is nothing to worry about health-wise.

Are there any suggestions out there on how to manage this type of coat?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had a lab some years ago who had an oily-ish coat as well, and I learned that sometimes that equates to stinkiness more often than other breeds. On the up side, an oily coat is also soil-resistant, so in order to avoid more baths which would reduce skin oils, I just took him to the river every once in awhile for a swim. :D Poor doggy!

I wouldn't bathe Tynan any more often than any other dog, but would definitely visit your nearest lake or river for some swimming time if he's up to it! Once you get home, run him under a hose so any fishy lake or river water is washed off too. When you do have to give him a bath though, any standard non-harsh dog shampoo was fine, and if you feel like you need to replace what coating has been taken by the bath, fish oil or coconut oil in their supper is a suitable supplement.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't bathe my dogs very often at all. Probably 1-2 times a year or if they've rolled in something gross. Tynan does go swimming often, but it's not enough to keep the oily film at a reasonable level. It's also really hard to give a good thorough bath as he is just so damned water resistant, lol. He's still shiny but I don't like seeing the film build up so much over time as I don't like to give baths too often either. At least he doesn't stink (at least I don't think he does). Thank you for the reply. :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
@timber, if you want to give him a really good, deep cleaning bath, try using some original Dawn dish liquid. Many groomers will use it as a "first wash" to remove any build up and excess oil, then wash with something more gentle.

Dawn is very regularly used to help clean oil spill survivors because it is gentle and effective.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I second dish detergent, Dawn being probably gentlest on the skin. It will really help cut through the oiliness.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
My boy Tynan is part lab and has the classic extra oily/waterproof coat. The vet said that he's healthy and that his oily coat is nothing to worry about health-wise.

Are there any suggestions out there on how to manage this type of coat?
I would not try to manage it , it is the way it is supposed to be. Using harsh liquid detergent is not a good idea for any dogs coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts