Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaking My head

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  KateBren 
#1 ·
I'm not gonna give the name of this rescue but right now my fiancé and I are heartbroken. We found a mini pin mix we really fell in love with and decided to put in an application. The staff were even saying how great of a match we seemed etc . So our hopes were high that we would be allowed to take him home. Well after a week of waiting we get a call saying our application is invalid because the dog has already been adopted. Ok so then why were we told he was still up for adoption, why was he listed on your site and on pet finder as still available. Not only that but the "gentleman" we had to deal with wasn't just down right rude.

Just bugs the heck out of me. We already have everything set for a pup. Bowls, toys , leash, collar, dog beds, kibble etc. At least if the adoption was pending I wish they would've told us and or not have been as rude as they were. This was the only rescue near us that had smaller sized dogs, most at other places are larger then what we are looking for.

Thinking of going through a breeder after this experience. Or traveling out of town to look at other rescues.

Anyone know of reputable breeders to get a papillon in pa?

#2 ·
I can only imagine how irked you must have been.

I'm in UK and we got a rescue. I'd have taken him there and then but the centre made us do it every day for a week before they would allow us to take him. A few weeks later we had a home visit by someone from the centre to see how it was working out. It was and still is.

But hats off to the rescue centre for going that extra mile.

#4 ·
I have heard a lot of stories about irritating, unfair, and downright ridiculous issues with rescues. They aren't all like that, but the one you dealt with? Incompetent.

My suggestion? Check out (via email) some dog shows like Westminster, find out what kennels entered papillons, and then send this thread to them. The really big guy breeders all know everybody, and they may have suggestions for a decent rescue, but they also may know of someone having a decent pet pup for sale, or maybe a slightly older pup that was returned, for adoption. Think outside the box.

#7 ·
As the others have said, not all rescues are like that.

We met our dog at an adoption event. The next day two rescue team members and the dog came to our house to see if she is comfy and if our claims how we lived are true.
We then met at the local petsmart (they are a petsmart registered rescue, so all adoptions need to be signed on "petsmart grounds") filled out the paperwork and got the dog.

I was in contact with 5 other rescues at that time and looked at different dogs and I was lucky as in haven't had any rude people, all really nice and up front with their requirements.
If I were you, I would either try the same rescue again (if you find another dog that you would consider) or look at different, further away rescues/shelters. Maybe the guy you talked to was just rude because he had a bad day? I had to wait 2 weeks for an email reply from one of the rescues, turns out, the lady running it lost her heart dog and thus didn't monitor the rescue mailbox for some time.
Also, when you inquired about this specific dog, maybe the adoption was not in progress yet? I know from many rescues around here that they don't do the first come first serve, but best match. Maybe there was a better match (or so they thought) than you?

It sucks and I can totally understand your disappointment, but maybe it was not a bad rescue, but bad circumstances?

Reactions: TruckersMom
#8 ·
This exact thing happened to us last week.. We were told we were a perfect home and that our application looked awesome then come to find out the puppy had already been adopted.Second try we got "well, the foster is thinking about keeping him". It has soured us a little on rescues, considering originally we were going to get a breeder pup but decided to get a rescue do instead. We have two potential candidates left from rescues if those don't work out, we will probably go with a breeder.

#9 ·
It can take a long time to find the right rescue dog, one that meets all of your criteria and where you are a good fit for the dog as well. This is especially true when one is looking for a certain breed. If you are open to many breeds and ages, then it is easier.

Add in the human dimension of the people who work with rescues, who are doing what they believe is their best, it can take a long time indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.