Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Rain, I'm so sorry you've having to go through this.... :( Shadow's got a lot of love in his life.... Take care.

And ditto, Quest. He couldn't have asked for a better Mom.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks y'all.

I try. I just wish I knew what was best to do for him right now.

I did figure out what he wanted just now. He wanted his fan turned on, he kept pacing in a circle near it and when I turned it on he stood still then laid down in front of it.

Reactions: LaylaBird

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good sign, he still knows what he wants and shows you.

Maybe his sense of smell is off? I'm trying to come up with something for ya.

I just don't know. For the past week he'd eat something for a day or two then the next time I offered it he would not eat it. I ran out of stuff to offer him.

With the cat food I fed him spoonfuls throughout the night then the last time I offered it he sucked the juice off and spit out the food. I refuse to feed him anymore of that, it made him way to sick.

The canned dog food I bought him is ToTW southwest canyon and sierra mountain, and 4health salmon and potato. The ToTW he's had before and he loved both of them, the 4health he'd never had before. He wouldn't touch the 4health. The sw canyon he licked and sucked the gravy off and spit out the meat, I pureed it and he wanted nothing to do with it, this morning he wouldn't even lick up the gravy. I tried the sierra mountain and he ignored that to. He loves canned pumpkin and he won't touch it now.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Have you considered syringe feeding?

No, I hadn't. I'm afraid it'd just stress him out.

You should have seen what happened when I tried to squirt Tropiclean gel on his teeth. You're supposed to squirt just a little onto their back teeth between the teeth and the lips. Well he struggled, fought me, and dang near bit my finger when I tried to squirt it on my finger then rub it on his teeth. I'm afraid that's what'd happen if I tried syringe feeding.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
OH Rain I missed this thread.
My thoughts are with you & Shadow..
Shadow is a lucky boy.
I know how hard this time is please be kind to yourself.
Many hugs, prayers & thoughts going your way.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Shadow is so lucky to have you. I know you'll make the right decision at the right time. <3
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
shadow cant have asked for a better mum rain and im so sorry he is more off his food then ever. oh shadow please eat

Reactions: LabSmitten

·
Registered
143 Posts
Towards the end with Gemma, I was getting her to eat the soft colored pieces in Beneful and one of the other junk foods. At this point, have you tried good old McDonalds?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just don't want you to lose him, because he really belongs to all of us.

I know, and I really do appreciate the suggestion. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I though he'd let me, but when he decides he doesn't like something he fights and gets totally stressed out, the other thing is I can't calm him like I used to be able to do, a lot of the time now he doesn't seem to recognize me, so now when he gets stressed out there's not much I can do to calm him down. I was dipping my finger in the food and smearing it on his nose but I can only do that a time or two before he moves away. I snuck a few pieces of food in his mouth while he was panting but he spit them back out. I just threw out a bunch of beef, pork, and fish that I fixed multiple ways for him but he ended up refusing to eat. He just will not eat no mater what trick I try.

Right now I'm just trying to keep him as comfortable as I can and offering food on and off throughout the day, hoping against hope that he'll eat it.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Towards the end with Gemma, I was getting her to eat the soft colored pieces in Beneful and one of the other junk foods. At this point, have you tried good old McDonalds?

We don't have a McDonalds near me but we do have a small restaurant that fixes hamburgers so I bought him one last week, he ate half, it was the last real amount of food that he ate, and when I offered him the other half in the morning (heated back up) he wouldn't touch it. It's been downhill from there. He won't even eat hot dogs.

I can't do the cheap foods because of the chicken in them. The cheap cat food that I gave him was mainly fish with poultry by products and it's given him bad diarrhea, even then I'd probably still eat it but he turned up his nose at it the last time I offered it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having gone through the CCD myself, maybe it is a good thing that Shadow is refusing to eat. Maybe it is his way of letting you know it is his time. I was so afraid I wouldn't know when to let go with Gemma since we didn't have the same connection.

Right now keep on doing what you are doing but obviously the old Shadow is still connected to your heart. You will know.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have no experience with this really, but I was thinking the same thing. He has what he really needs from you -- which is your love, but it's also your respect, acceptance and understanding.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
What's CCD?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So so sorry Shadow is not doing well. I know from your posts you have done everything humanly possible to take care of him and now it is up to him......... All you can do is make him comfortable, while still trying to help him survive..........if he leaves you , you know you loved him with all your heart and did everything you could! Have peace in that.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It's Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. Basically doggy Alzheimer.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts