Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6mo old hound/retriever who has severe separation anxiety.
She is the sweetest friendliest dog i have ever met... As long as she is with someone. We adopted her from a shelter when she was 3mo. She was immediately part of the family. For the first week we had her, she did fine in the crate, but then I started getting complaints from the neighbors below that she was barking all day. I couldnt believe that she would bark all day, so i set up a camera and recorded her while we were gone for a few hours. she barked and tried to get out of the crate the ENTIRE TIME we were gone. Things even got to the point where my landlord told us we had to leave because of the complaints. I even started bringing her to work with me. I have tried everything from leaving a tshirt with her to using a vibration correction collar. Even with a kong filled with peanutbutter and treats, she has no interest in anything but trying to get out. She eventually destroyed her crate and got out, and since then we have not been able to leave her alone. Even at work if i shut her in my office, which has a window so she can see me, she still goes crazy. I have no idea what else to do. I talked to the vet and the vet actually put her on prozac (not sure how i really feel about this, but i trust her judgment). There is a difference between having a life with a dog and the dog consuming your life. Its getting to the point where I am starting to get resentments and I dont like that feeling. Im hoping someone has worked through this and can give me some advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
First off, get her a metal crate that she can't destroy. Second off, have her covered by a blanket so she can't see out. Then, just sit by her. Just sit and read a book or watch TV for first ten minutes, then twenty, up to several hours. She should be calm. If not, move the blanket so she can see you. Ignore her while she's in the crate. If she's barking, don't let her out til she stops. The try leaving the room. Don't stay away long at first. Eventually, she should be able to sleep in peace with you gone. This will take a while, but it should help. Also, try leaving the radio or TV on while you're gone. The noise might make her less afraid.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Does the bark collar have a static mode? Vibration isn't really adversive it's just an intreruptor. She (almost certainly) won't shock herself all day.

Since someone will point it out, this could likely lead to shutdown which isn't a great outcome but it's better than getting sent to a shelter or you getting evicted so..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suggest:

1. Doggy day care if you have the budget. Your dog will not be bored since there are a lot of dogs around and someone can look out for her or a pet sitter perhaps.

2. Regular walks / play-time 30min-1hour before you go to work. Hoping it will drain their energy making them more calm and they can eventually sleep while your not around.

Best of luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts