Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum and I usually dislike joining forums etc.

BUT my life has just been turned upside down by our new family
member, 8 weeks old akita inu puppy, Daiki. I had been dreaming of
getting a dog for over 5 years and now when I finally got one I've
been feeling sick and feel like crying all the time. I knew puppies are
lots of work, for some reason Daiki likes putting his paws in his water bowl so i have to be drying him and the floor all the time, he bites a lot what was to be expected from a pup, he's just your usual puppy, lots of work. But I hadn't
thought this life change would make me so nauseous, anxious, stressed, regretting and crying all the time from just day one...

The biggest problem is that I'm not a talkative person at all. I don't speak if someone doesn't speak to me first. So that means I usually don't talk to
animals, and that's a pretty bad thing when you have a dog.. So this is probably my
number one concern.

I just kind of wrote this to see if ppl would have some good advice or could relate to my problem in some level

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dogs can also learn hand signals, if you don't like talking to your new dog, it might take longer and, be harder to teach but, the puppy could learn hand signals, just as a deaf person would teach a dog, or as you would teach a deaf dog.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Get a bowl that is on a shelf off the floor that the pup can still reach. Keep the dog leashed to you while in your house until you have confidence in him. You'll need to put in the work now if you want the dog to behave all the time later on. The dog is teething and its painful and itchy. Make sure the dog has plenty of choices that its allowed to chew on and keep the other stuff off the floor until teething is over. It doesn't last too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

If you feel any better I am right where you are and don't know what to do. Overall she is a good puppy (just turned 16 weeks and we got her when she was 10) and has normal behaviors for her age.

But aparently I was not prepared.

I'm anxious all the time. I feel like my life is around her now and I completely lost my freedom. We are still potty training and I'm tired of it. I realized I will never sleep in again because at 7 am sharp she scratches my bedroom door to be fed and walked. I have no idea how to fit in my gym classes anymore and I resent it.

Plus we had a flea control issue with her (usual medicine was not working, every time we walked her she would come back covered in them, we had to clean the house upside down and have it fumigated... I think we finally found the correct stuff for her this weekend after an emergency trip to the vet).

I want to start puppy classes with her but with this issue I still couldn't.

I'm totally where you are. I feel very...hum...depressed(?)

I don't have advice but at least let you know your are not the only one *sigh*

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nobody's prepared, believe me. I was a crying mess with my first too. It will pass. My 18 month dog lets me sleep in until 8am now!

Keep going to the gym, your puppy can hold it for 2 hours, promise. Put him in a crate, just let him out before and after you go... Crate training has been a life saver for us.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Your dog will be your best friend if you will let him. Talk to your dog as you would talk to your best friend. He will start a conversation with his eyes & body language. You can tell them anything, they're not going to blab all your secrets! Remember you & your dog will benefit from any bonding. When you feel clammed up, try calming first as no one feels like talking if they're anxious. I recommend almond cederwood & bergamot essential oils, mix in a bowl & breathe deeply. Your dog will also be calmed by this. Remember the more you tell them, the more they'll understand and the easier it will get. Sign language added in is an option too. Eg say sit & add hand signal, then you will very likely get to a stage where only the hand signals required. Ive done this for dogs going deaf, but dogs that can hear gain info from your tone. Focus on making the best bond with your dog not on the fleas & wees. Having a pup is meant to be fun. Make sure you have fun with him every single day. ? Keep using positive imagery to get you through. Imagine the day your puppies toilet trained, has no fleas, never bites & feel how happy you are, then use this feeling to motivate you to get you to your goal. Know you CAN do it, & know how proud you will be with yourself & your dog when you've acheived your goal. Give yourself & your dog a pat on the back for getting this far & acheiving what you have so far. All the best!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are things any better? I started my reply then realized this was a couple months old! I'll reply anyway.

Talk to him. You can teach with hand signals, and it's no more difficult, but still talk to him. It will help a lot with your bond. I wouldn't consider my self a very talkative person either, but I do talk to my animals, maybe a lot! I'm assume at 8 weeks you just got him, so you are both very new to each other and it takes time to build a relationship.

I agree that raising the water bowl would be a good idea, a puppy in the house does mean you'll have to get use to some mess though. I'm guessing you are very new to this so my best suggestion would be to sign up for some puppy classes.

I can not sympathize with the puppy blues, I have two in my house right now and I'm loving every minute of it!! I do revolve a lot around the puppies, but mine has been pretty good at adapting to my schedule (I work odd hours), luckily there is usually someone home, but they are fine if we do need to leave for a few hours. Today they have been left for about 8 hours because I am working a day shift (which I rarely do) and the kids are back in school, but generally they aren't left for more then 2-3 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts