Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12-year-old Labrador Retriever who was diagnosed with asthma about a year ago by a veterinarian. They gave him medication, but it caused his breathing to become worse. I gave it to him on and off to see if it was the medication causing the problems, and it was. Within the past month he has gotten significantly worse. He is almost always panting and often just gasping for breath, along with the occasional cough. I'm so scared and feel so bad for him. I can't afford to take him to the veterinarian. What can I do? I've been trying to give him foods that I've read help asthma, such as apples, fish, chili powder, oranges, strawberries, peas and corn. It helped, but bothered him stomach horribly, so I had to stop. Right now I'm trying to give him breathe easy tea and a bunch of other teas that are supposed to help asthma. I'm not sure if they are helping or not. I've given him MSM, Acidophilus and Benadryl. I've read that these can help with asthma. Right now he is sleeping and breathing well after I gave him the tea mixture, MSM and Acidophilus.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Severe breathing problems is one of those things that can't really be handled without a vet. See if there are low cost vet services in your area, or perhaps a vet that will allow you to make payments. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has gotten so bad that he can't walk from one room to another without becoming extremely out of breath. I'm going to call my regular vet and ask if I can make payments and if not, I try to get him into a low cost vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts