Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be crate training my new puppy when I get her. She will be 8 weeks old. I have created a day schedule but I can't decide if I should set alarm(s) in the night for her and if so how often.. Or if I should let her out when she makes noise in middle of night ( she will sleep in the bedroom)

I find conflicting info online and I keep thinking that I read sometimes after a week or two a puppy is good for the night, and other times not.. But I wouldn't know if I always wake her up at certain times.. Input?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had an alarm set for feedings and downloaded an app to mark down the times he peed/pooped to help me figure out how long he can hold it till he's ready to go out again. When I started potty training Teddy he was already sleeping through the nights because he was pad trained. I didn't start taking him outside to potty till after his 2nd set of shots.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am thinking middle of the night alarm will be best.. But a concern I have is the hubby comes to bed a hour or two after me and he doesn't allow instruction well so I don't want him taking her out.. Should I wake up when he comes to bed and let her out or only if she gets fussy? Or perhaps she will fuss because he wakes her up and nit because she needs to pee..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had the same issue, my husband would get home from work and Teddy would hear him walk in the room and he'd wake up. He wouldn't fuss, but I figured since he was awake to might as well take him out. Every time I did that he'd go potty and sleep for the rest of the night until about 7-8am. On day's my husband was off, I'd make an alarm for the same time he'd usually get home and take Teddy out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same issue, my husband would get home from work and Teddy would hear him walk in the room and he'd wake up. He wouldn't fuss, but I figured since he was awake to might as well take him out. Every time I did that he'd go potty and sleep for the rest of the night until about 7-8am. On day's my husband was off, I'd make an alarm for the same time he'd usually get home and take Teddy out.
What time were you putting your pup to bed and when did your hubby come home?

·
Registered
135 Posts
What time were you putting your pup to bed and when did your hubby come home?
I would put him to bed at 9pm, right before he went into his crate I'd take him out to potty. My husband could come home anywhere from 12am to 3am. Most of the time he'd get here around 2 so that's the time I'd take Teddy out. After a couple weeks I stopped taking him out at that time and he had no accidents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok wow, sounds like a good sleeper! I plan to put Kaiya to bed at 1030 and wake up at 630. My hubby comes to bed at either 12 or 1 usually , so I think that should be an ok plan for me :) thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 3mo puppy and she sleeps from around 4:30pm or 5 till about 11 or 12pm at I put her in the crate at around 10pm when we go to bed, but then she wakes up and whines to go outside every hour.

Before crating her I take her out to pee which sometimes this wakes her up completely, so sometimes I just pick her up and crate her as not to wake her so I can get some sleep.

How do I get to sleep through the night with a puppy that can obviously hold it through the night but continues to whine every hour of the sleeping time?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
we did set an alarm for the first weeks...first every 2 hours and later once a night.
they slept through the night relatively fast though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 3 month old puppy slept the night pretty much by the 3rd day we got her. Buuuut, we still set alarms. I followed the age in months +1 rule for how long she could hold it. So theoretically a 2 month old puppy needs to go out every 3 hours. So it sounds like letting the pup out when your hubby goes to bed is a good thing.

We set alarms for the first few nights (well first week) with the puppy until we figured out her schedule and how she was letting us know she needed to go. We adjusted the alarms as we realized she would rather sleep than go out to pee.

So night one- we set the alarm for every 3 hours: bed at 10pm, alarm at: 1am and 4am; up at 7am. If the puppy stirred when we got up with the alarm, she was let out to pee and brought promptly back inside after. By night 3, we realized she wasn't really getting up much when the first alarm went off, so we pushed it back to 2am, then 2:30 am, then 3am....until finally at the end of week 1 we had 1 alarm set for 4 am. After two more days, we realized that she could hold it through the night or would whine loud enough to wake one of us (and with enough time to get outside) and we stopped setting alarms. By the end of week 2 (and now onto week 6 with her), she sleeps the night at 4.5 months old or whines to let us know she needs to go out.

I would also say that cutting her off of water at 7:30-8pm, unless she had a walk or big play after that, worked well. A soft rule of no food or water after 7:30pm worked because she would pee and poo before bed at 10pm and be fairly empty for the night.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@cjrhodes3: I wouldn't let your puppy sleep from 4:30pm to 12pm. I would try keeping the puppy awake from 5-8 or 9pm: play with puppy, walk it, do training, entertain it with toys, whatever it takes. Then, after 8pm or so, allow the puppy to sleep if it is tired.

It sounds like right now your puppy is sleeping during awake time and then is awake during the time you want it to sleep. If you switch it's schedule, it shouldn't whine throughout the night. Also, if you get into a routine of taking puppy out to pee before bedtime, it will be less likely to wake up needing to pee in the middle of your sleeping time. Establishing good routines are key to help your puppy understand what you want it to do.

I also found with my pup that "I'm bored" whines sound very different from "I really have to pee" whines. I only let the pup out to "I have to pee" whines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts