Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is discusting. Sorry if Im misspelling some things, but its late for me. But my local animal shelter, PAWS, is auctioning animals! For big bucks, like $500! And almost all of their adoption fees are atleast $300! Even for mutts! I understand they need money, but I think they are cheating people. I mean, I love purebreds, I can even say Im in love with purebreds, so I would much rather get an AKC registered pup than pay double for a mixbreed that is older, and would be harder to train. I know, I made the decision to rescue an older dog, but when I saw seven year old mixbreeds being put up for auction for prices like $500, I immediantly changed my mind. I mean, I would MUCH rather rescue than buy from a breeder, but I dont have the money or the patience to BID on a dog that needs rehabilitation as it is!
I know that sounded harsh, but I think Im gonna make the hour long trip to rescue a dog for a small, flat adoption fee. Or just find a dog that needs to be re-homed from someone that cant afford it, I mean, it would end up in a shelter anyway. Now this is making it even harder for me to decide what to do...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but the auction starts at $300 :/ I donate as it is, every month xD I cant afford anymore than that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Weird never heard of that before, for most rescues its not about the money but making sure the animal finds the most suitable home. I know most rescues adoption fee's only helps towards the neuter/spay, vacs etc so rely on fundraising to cover the rest of the kennel costs.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
As long as they are still screening their homes...they are right?

We've chatted long and hard about adoption fees. I feel that charging more for one dog and less for anohter (whether pup, purebred, superdog-whatever) is wrong-but charging more-probably good. People digsustingly cherish what they pay big bucks for and are more willing to part with a free dog then one that cost 1/2 a grand right?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I looked at it this way, you can get a perfectly healthy dog for $100-200, so why go to a shelter and pay $300-500? Im still gonna try to rescue, but...money is tight right now for most families, so it may be taking away homes.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's true-you want to ensure as a shelter that you are not charging more then petstores-otherwise people will go there instead!

And in this economy-charging more, your right, will likely discourage.
however you have to have money for vet care...it's a catch 22 I'm sure right?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, but still for the actual animal, its still too much. Shouldnt they just be able to check your income and everything? The shelter in CO did that to decide the adoption fee, and whether you could afford a dog/cat.
Even though I can afford vet care, I dont think I can afford the actual animal if the fees are going to stay the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts