Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone :D

New here but not new to having dogs.

I just moved back with my parents after financial troubles and we have one lil Morkie named Sophie. She is 8 years old and is pretty smart and independent.

Well, the problem isn't her, it's my mom and our friends. My mother likes to give her table food for whatever reason and everytime I say stop, she says, "oh it's just a little." Now, my mother at least knows what is deadly to dogs so it's not WHAT she feeds the dog but HOW MUCH, which is my concern. The real problem is that we have a friend and her mother has Alzheimer's. She is getting worse and we help the friend out with her mother by having them over for dinner pretty frequently. They also have a little guy named Teddy who is about 1 1/2 years old now. The mother DOES NOT know or forgets what is good and what is bad for the dogs. We caught her trying to feed chocolate to them a few times. Thankfully we stopped it and their dog THANK GOD doesn't like sweets so he refuses when she tries to give him sugary things.

I know the obvious answer is to STOP feeding them at the table and they won't beg but this seems to be out of the question when it comes to our friend's mother. I can't really convince my parents to stop having them over. Maybe they can bring it down to 2/3 times a week rather than almost every day. We have tried to put them in the crate and outside but they are extremely vocal and we haven't kept up with it. Should we, when they come over, keep the dogs out of the kitchen area and just deal with the noise and it will stop after a while of doing it? I really am worried that one day something bad will happen. I am not really close with them so I care more about the dogs' health, sorry to say more than hers.

They went away for a few days and I watched the dogs and their stools were healthy. They get back and a day or two later and they have diarrhea like stools already. This is getting sick.

I really need to tell them it's not just about what they are feeding them but also the principal of what they are doing.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
That's a tough spot.

Personally, I feed my dog some table scraps. It doesn't bother me in the least to have her begging while I'm eating. With that said, my boyfriend HATES when she begs at the dinner table. I've taught her to go lay on the rug in the living room when we eat. It took some time, but now when we sit down to eat, she goes to her rug and lays down quietly. Once dinner is over and everything is cleared, I'll give her a really high value treat.

Your situation may be more difficult because of the Alzheimer's. You can lock him in another room with toys, food and a chew to occupy him. If that doesn't work, you may just have to watch everything and continue to tell the woman not to feed the dog.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
My suggestion would be to supply a long-lasting bone or a frozen stuffed Kong that your mom or her friends can give the dog instead of table scraps. The old ladies will be happy, the dog will be happy, and you can keep him healthy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great suggestions guys :D

I think a combo of a bunch of things might work. Since this has been going on a while, the dogs have learned that most other things are not as great as what might be at the table :p If something is better why take less right?

While it's not my favorite thing, my mom did make some cut up chicken to give to the old lady to feed the dogs instead. It isn't bad but it's still enforcing table begging, especially table begging at her chair. They know where it comes from :p Ideally, they'd not bother us and we'd wait to give them a treat AFTER we eat. I cannot wrap my head around table feeding, I am just a little more strict and hard ass than others I guess :cool::p

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
I have a senior rescue dog whom I'm sure was obviously fed scraps from the table. Now, what I do is give him a greenie to chew on when I'm done setting the table before we start eating. He grabs the greenie and runs off to his favorite spot. Sometimes he returns to the table hoping for more food, but he never gets anything else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dogs get fed a little bit of table scraps. When we got our 3 year old Aussie we did not feed him any table scraps but he still begged anyways. So it's not always just being fed makes them beg.

Table scraps are not totally bad for dogs. You just have to make sure they dont get fat bits off of meat or too many carbs. If you feed them some table scraps you have to lessen how much dry food they get as well. Dogs like vegetables and fruit too. Everything in moderation. Except for Cooper (since it's been so hot here in Phoenix he hasnt got much exercise so he got kinda fat) our dogs are healthy. We fed Cooper less kibble and less table scraps and he's still kinda fat so it has to be the less exercise. Aussies are prone to weight gain if they dont get enough. Thankfully we just got a puppy that seems to be running that excess weight off! Lol

I dont mind begging dogs, I cant stand dogs that whine or literally start to claw up your leg to get food. Our dogs sit nice and just kinda stare into your soul lol They only get food AFTER we are done eating though.

You may have to keep them in another room with a treat. My boyfriends grandma loves to give HALF of her plate of food to the dogs. Of course she's constantly drunk so she doesnt even realize it's bad for them. In that case it's easier just to say no altogether with food since they dont understand they are giving too much or that its bad for them. Keeping the dogs away would force them to get up to give it to them which they wont want to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Everyone has given you great advise about the begging, but as for the lady with Alzheimer's, unless you or someone is watching her every second there is no way to be sure she won't give the dog something harmful/deadly. I would recommend the dog be crated while y'all have food out and she is there.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seconding 3dogfam. I am not fond of table begging myself, but Alzheimers isn't something ... that you can ever call the poor person reliable if they have it. Right now it might be shredded chicken and later on it'll be half an onion or something. Pup may be used to attending the table but so long as the elderly person is over it's best your dog isn't around to be put at risk. If not a crate then down a bedroom and so on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts