Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a dog with weird/random likes?

Karma is obsessed with sunflower seeds. I had give her a few before just to see if she liked them(none of the other dogs will eat them) and to my surprise she actually liked them. Well few months ago I accidently left a bag on the bed completely forgetting that she's not abby and has terrible impulse control and will eat anything if I leave the room(with Abby I can not say a word and leave and come back to my food untouched) and she tore into it and went to town. And well I completely forgot she likes them and last night bought a couple bags and left them on my desk. Came into my room to find her ripping into one of the un opened bags. My first thought the first time this happened was seriously dog what the heck? I mean what the heck kind of dog likes sunflower seeds?!? :ponder: I have concluded Karma is a wierdo....

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a cat that likes lima beans, does that count?

Vegas will only eat cookies with milk.

I was feeding my bearded dragon giant mealworms today and Freyja was really interested so I showed her one. And she ate it.
I have some double sided tape around my snakes tubs to keep the cats off. Freyja has made a game of touching the tape with her nose then pulling pack when the tape sticks. She will do this over and over. She apparently thinks it's great fun, strange dog.

I need to get a video of this, but Shorty does 'tai chi'. He likes to walk under bushes, tree and other plants with low hanging branches. When they touch his back he walks r e a l l y s l o w l y. Everything about him slows way down, even his breathing. He almost goes into a trance. He has one small tree, a weeping pine that he likes best. He actually has a trail around it now. He'll circle the tree a couple of times and then slowly walk out from under the tree and shake, then he's back to normal. Well, normal for Shorty.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
579 Posts
Basil likes to eat nuts, seeds, and whatever else our macaw drops outside of his cage. This has included things like brussel sprouts and cauliflower!

·
Registered
502 Posts
2 of my dogs love them as well! I love to eat them and they wait for me to inevitably drop some. Echo also enjoys hot tamales and alfalfa cubes for the horses at the barn. And the list goes on... :ponder:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Basil likes to eat nuts, seeds, and whatever else our macaw drops outside of his cage. This has included things like brussel sprouts and cauliflower!
Oh, Freyja loves cleaning up after the bird. Seeds, poop. It doesn't matter, it's all good. And you reminded me that Vegas loves brussel sprouts and pineapples.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Zody will eat tomatoes, he also enjoys bananas. I think the weirdest thing he likes is pickles. I was eating pickle slices one day and he was looking interested so I gave him one while saying, "Here, you're not going to like this." well he proved me wrong.

Shadow adored frozen, it had to be frozen, broccoli. He'd come running if he heard me get a bag out of the freezer, and was very disappointed if it wasn't broccoli.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
HaHa likes poop. I try not to think about it too much, but unfortunately, he likes to lick hands too...which makes me think about it.
I'm going through hand soap like crazy with this dog.

I had a cat name Ashley... she loved pickled olives. Other than that she wasn't really interested in what you had to offer her for a treat, unless it was bits of fish, or oyster.

Stormy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes ours love parrot leavings, especially sunflower seeds and roudybush pellets! And poop of course though I try not to let them slurp that up! We did have an elaborate barrier around the parrot cage but since gave up, and just stopped feeding her things that might hurt the dogs, like grapes and nuts with shells.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had a scottie growing up, she loved homemade vinegar based salad dressing. She'd drink it up, coming up for a breath every few licks. She was an odd dog, she loved anything people food. But wouldn't eat dog treats/food.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My corgi mix has gotten in the hamster food a couple of times. He adores it. My cat eats the chicken feed which is rather strange.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tux loves cucumbers. He stole one outta my bowl one day (didn't even know the little monster could get up on the coffee table) and has never looked back. Every time he sees me cutting one up (which is a lot because vegetarian) he starts crying and sitting next to me just like "Mommy PLEASEEEEEE"

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
When we first got Mia we had parakeets. She learned that the seeds she found on the ground came from their cage. One day I heard a commotion in the living room and I looked in to see Mia jumping up in front of the parakeet cage to scare them and make them fly around and then jumping down to eat the seeds they spilt.

Both the dogs like sticking their tongues through the bars in Sophie's cage to eat her rabbit food. Once Delilah actually jumped into Sophie cage but Sophie set her straight with a few swipes and she hasn't gone in since.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I need to get a video of this, but Shorty does 'tai chi'. He likes to walk under bushes, tree and other plants with low hanging branches. When they touch his back he walks r e a l l y s l o w l y. Everything about him slows way down, even his breathing. He almost goes into a trance. He has one small tree, a weeping pine that he likes best. He actually has a trail around it now. He'll circle the tree a couple of times and then slowly walk out from under the tree and shake, then he's back to normal. Well, normal for Shorty.
This is a documented phenomenon in dogs called "trancing":

Does Your Dog Trance? (And What the Heck Is Trancing?)

I read about it a while ago and your post just reminded me of it. Apparently it is seen more commonly in bull terriers, greyhounds, and salukis.

Edit: I see that Shorty is a Basset Hound. Basset Hounds are also mentioned to trance more than other breeds.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chester chews and eats his toenails. He doesn't do it obsessively and he never hits the quick. It happens maybe once or twice a week. I think it's just a weird little habit of his but maybe it's more common? Anyone else have a toenail chewer?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Chester chews and eats his toenails. He doesn't do it obsessively and he never hits the quick. It happens maybe once or twice a week. I think it's just a weird little habit of his but maybe it's more common? Anyone else have a toenail chewer?
My cousin's dog, a lab/GSD use to chew her nails. She never needed to have them clipped.

And thanks for the link, I've always wondered what he was doing. I had no idea it was a 'thing'.

Reactions: piano88

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Aspen LOVES ice cubes. I bring a water bottle filled with ice and water to work everyday and when she hears the ice, she comes running from wherever she is in the house. She also eats whipped cream from the can haha if we're having ice cream and she hears the whipped cream, she runs over and sits begging for some. I've considered using this to teach 'sit pretty' because she'll stretch up to get it as I squeeze it out. ;) She also love the hoof clippings when the farrier comes to shoe the horses.. but I think all dogs like those :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
She also eats whipped cream from the can haha if we're having ice cream and she hears the whipped cream, she runs over and sits begging for some.
EVERYONE comes running when they hear the whipped cream, cats and dogs. I end up surrounded, it's like a bad horror movie.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Forbes loves lettuce. I gave it to him thinking 'what dog actually likes lettuce' and he went wild for it. Now I can't make a salad without him being at my feet. Roxie thinks he is nuts. Lol.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
forbes loves lettuce. I gave it to him thinking 'what dog actually likes lettuce' and he went wild for it. Now i can't make a salad without him being at my feet. Roxie thinks he is nuts. Lol.
levi loves lettuce!

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It must be a aussie thing, I was just about to say that Sawyer loves lettuce. He's happily eaten almost 2 whole leaves, and would probably eat the entire head of lettuce if I let him. Even Maye decided she will eat it though she doesn't like it quite as much.
I think Sawyer must have been a bunny in his past life, the only veggie or fruit that he's tried and turned down was a black berry lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts