Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to provide a general overview of what we've got going to n, we adopted a (we think) 1/2 border collie 1/2 husky female dog. She's great in almost all ways. She learns quickly, loves the family, and she wants to please. We are going through Dr. Ian Dunbar's method for house training, namely that you confine the dog, then take her out every hour. During that time she goes potty and then as a reward you play with her for a bit. Supposedly the purpose of confinement is twofold: firstly it to teach her when and where to go potty. Secondly the idea is that she learns to be alone and to entertain herself for those times that we do actually need to leave her alone for a bit. Like I said, she's smart and willing to please. But she is not entertaining herself at all. From the moment she wakes up (around 5 am) she'll cry if we're not with her. It's getting pretty old and tiresome. Where do we go from here?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My boy was like this (he's 14 weeks now and he was 8 weeks when I got him). Do you have any bones she can chew on? I would put her in her bed or crate beside you and give her something to chew on (even a filled Kong would work). She's entertaining herself but she's still close to you. Then when she gets used to that, slowly work your way farther and farther from her.

Reactions: jvanheijzen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much time does your pup spend in the crate in an average 24 hour period?

Estimating that we take her out to go potty every hour and then we play with her afterwards, she probably spends 30-40 minutes of every hour in there and then she spends all night. She's not in a kennel though. We've got a small playpen set up for her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so let me make sure I've got the right idea, and not neglecting my dog here. The way I am understand Dr. Dunbar, she stays mainly in the pen until she is house broken and is comfortable using her chew toys. Then, and only then, she gets the run of the house. Is that about right? Also, we got her a flavored bone. Now she's so obsessed with it that she has t whined at all since. Fingers crossed. Let's hope it lasts.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Ok, so let me make sure I've got the right idea, and not neglecting my dog here. The way I am understand Dr. Dunbar, she stays mainly in the pen until she is house broken and is comfortable using her chew toys. Then, and only then, she gets the run of the house. Is that about right? Also, we got her a flavored bone. Now she's so obsessed with it that she has t whined at all since. Fingers crossed. Let's hope it lasts.

She's likely spending the time needed to bond with you penned up. Does your dog get any socialization with other dogs at all?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I still have to finish reading Dunbar's book, however you can also tether your puppy to you if you're going to be hanging around the house. This way she still gets to be with you, but you'll be right there to notice if she needs to go outside. This way she doesn't have to spend as much time in the kennel in the first place. I would only suggest this if you're not doing anything too distracting from your puppy though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have to finish reading Dunbar's book, however you can also tether your puppy to you if you're going to be hanging around the house. This way she still gets to be with you, but you'll be right there to notice if she needs to go outside. This way she doesn't have to spend as much time in the kennel in the first place. I would only suggest this if you're not doing anything too distracting from your puppy though.

Oh ok, we'll give that a try.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts

I haven't read Dunbars book - but the one thing I agree with in Dunbar is that he pushes very early socialization. What you're pretty much doing is taking the puppy away from a social environment - it's mother and siblings - and keeping it in a anti-social environment. The weeks and months following the removal from the mother are so important.

Socialization with other puppies or dogs is good - but the puppy getting used to being handled by many people in many places is moreso what he pushes.

This is one of the issues I have with people pushing certain trainers, behaviorists or authors of "dog training". It's not the whole picture, watching one video or reading one chapter isn't enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts